iPXE discussion forum
make on raspberry - Printable Version

+- iPXE discussion forum (https://forum.ipxe.org)
+-- Forum: iPXE user forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: make on raspberry (/showthread.php?tid=6877)

make on raspberry - Viator - 2013-04-18 09:08

Hello!

I tried setting up ipxe on a raspberry PI. The way I use ipxe requires me to build the boot images on the raspberry but I get several errors (all the same, but for different objects) when running make. I do not want to boot the raspberry using ipxe, I just want to generate the files to boot a standard PC.

Code:
[BUILD] bin/__divdi3.o
cc1: error: bad value (i386) for -march switch
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mregparm=3’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mrtd’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-m32’
make: *** [bin/__divdi3.o] Error 1

Can anyone of the cracks help me please?

Thank you,
Thorsten

RE: make on raspberry - mcb30 - 2013-04-18 10:40

(2013-04-18 09:08)Viator Wrote:  I tried setting up ipxe on a raspberry PI. The way I use ipxe requires me to build the boot images on the raspberry but I get several errors (all the same, but for different objects) when running make. I do not want to boot the raspberry using ipxe, I just want to generate the files to boot a standard PC.
Code:
[BUILD] bin/__divdi3.o
cc1: error: bad value (i386) for -march switch
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mregparm=3’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mrtd’
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-m32’
make: *** [bin/__divdi3.o] Error 1

You'll need to install a cross-compiling build of gcc which is capable of building x86 binaries. Once you've done this, you can then build iPXE by adding something like "CROSS_COMPILE=i386-linux-gnu-" to the make command line.

Michael

RE: make on raspberry - Viator - 2013-04-18 14:00

(2013-04-18 10:40)mcb30 Wrote:  You'll need to install a cross-compiling build of gcc which is capable of building x86 binaries. Once you've done this, you can then build iPXE by adding something like "CROSS_COMPILE=i386-linux-gnu-" to the make command line.

Michael

Hi Michael!

Thank you for the answer. I assume the hard part starts now: getting a crosscompiler. Building ARM Code on a PC seems to be more common than the other way around.

Best whishes, Thorsten

RE: make on raspberry - Aigor - 2013-04-25 18:30

(2013-04-18 14:00)Viator Wrote:  
(2013-04-18 10:40)mcb30 Wrote:  You'll need to install a cross-compiling build of gcc which is capable of building x86 binaries. Once you've done this, you can then build iPXE by adding something like "CROSS_COMPILE=i386-linux-gnu-" to the make command line.

Michael

Hi Michael!

Thank you for the answer. I assume the hard part starts now: getting a crosscompiler. Building ARM Code on a PC seems to be more common than the other way around.

Best whishes, Thorsten
Try too look on crosstools, you can get many usefully information on gentoo site embedded part of it, i'v been able to build a complete gentoo distro on my gentoo 64 machine, you can use native rasp distro, but due to poor performance, compiling take long time to end, so, you can use distcc to setup a bunch of machine like "compiler cluster" in gentoo web you will find ALL the info you need, i'm not a gentoo dev or other, simply i used.

RE: make on raspberry - Viator - 2013-04-26 07:48

(2013-04-25 18:30)Aigor Wrote:  Try too look on crosstools, you can get many usefully information on gentoo site embedded part of it, i'v been able to build a complete gentoo distro on my gentoo 64 machine, you can use native rasp distro, but due to poor performance, compiling take long time to end, so, you can use distcc to setup a bunch of machine like "compiler cluster" in gentoo web you will find ALL the info you need, i'm not a gentoo dev or other, simply i used.

Hello Aigor!

Thank you very much for this information. This will help me a lot.

Thorsten

RE: make on raspberry - Aigor - 2013-04-26 10:06

(2013-04-26 07:48)Viator Wrote:  
(2013-04-25 18:30)Aigor Wrote:  Try too look on crosstools, you can get many usefully information on gentoo site embedded part of it, i'v been able to build a complete gentoo distro on my gentoo 64 machine, you can use native rasp distro, but due to poor performance, compiling take long time to end, so, you can use distcc to setup a bunch of machine like "compiler cluster" in gentoo web you will find ALL the info you need, i'm not a gentoo dev or other, simply i used.

Hello Aigor!

Thank you very much for this information. This will help me a lot.

Thorsten

You are Welcome Thorsten :-) i hope you can setup your environement