• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenovo ToolCenter img2a Exec Format Error
2017-09-20, 17:11
Lenovo ToolCenter img2a Exec Format Error
I am uEFI booting this successfully with uEFI command
Linux img2a

Trying to convert to iPXE I get the following:
kernel http://x.x.x.x/tftpboot/BomC11.0/img2a
Could not select, Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008081)

When I run the linux file command this is the output:
file img2a
img2a: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 2.6.32-358.23.2.98.Toolscenter5_1.x86_64 (mockbuild@bldx1) #1 S, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

Any Ideas on how to load this kernel?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-20, 19:49
RE: Lenovo ToolCenter img2a Exec Format Error
From the error page that you linked to:
Quote:If you are running a UEFI version of iPXE then only EFI binaries can be loaded. PXE binaries such as pxelinux.0 use legacy BIOS calls and can never work on UEFI.
If you are trying to load a Linux kernel (or other EFI binary) then you can use iPXE to load it directly; there is no need to load pxelinux.0 first.
To load anything in iPXE EFI land it must be a EFI binary. What you are trying to load was probably not build with EFI support and can't be loaded.
(I updated the above error page to try and make this even clearer)

My guess is that what you mean by "linux" is that you are refering to how it is booted in grub, which has some extra code to boot linux kernels that are not EFI executables. This however is unlikely to be supported in iPXE.

The fix would be to get a kernel with EFI support built in. Or maybe you could use some other kernel and then add the initramfs from the "tool kernel" as initrd.
And the last option would be to use a bunch of hacks to load grub which then in turn might be able to load your "tool kernel".

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-20, 19:49
(2017-09-20 17:11)rweisman Wrote:  When I run the linux file command this is the output:
file img2a
img2a: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 2.6.32-358.23.2.98.Toolscenter5_1.x86_64 (mockbuild@bldx1) #1 S, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

The kernel is almost certainly too old to be booted directly as a UEFI executable. You will need to use a more recent kernel to boot directly via iPXE. (Alternatively, you can use iPXE to load an intermediate bootloader such as GRUB or ELILO).

Michael
2017-09-20, 20:08
(2017-09-20 19:49)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2017-09-20 17:11)rweisman Wrote:  When I run the linux file command this is the output:
file img2a

The kernel is almost certainly too old to be booted directly as a UEFI executable. You will need to use a more recent kernel to boot directly via iPXE. (Alternatively, you can use iPXE to load an intermediate bootloader such as GRUB or ELILO).

Michael

I noticed that the BZIMAGE does not appear in the header on Boot. I tried un-commenting that in the config/general.h file, but get compile errors.
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-21, 18:11
(2017-09-20 20:08)rweisman Wrote:  I noticed that the BZIMAGE does not appear in the header on Boot. I tried un-commenting that in the config/general.h file, but get compile errors.

BzImage is not available in EFI, "no need" for it since all kernels should be built with EFI_STUB enabled.

And to add to that from my reply above "This however is unlikely to be supported in iPXE." You might want to read that full post above for context.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)