Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ipxe inside pxelinux/syslinux with static ip configuration
2014-05-11, 09:40
ipxe inside pxelinux/syslinux with static ip configuration
hi everyone,
i want to boot ipxe kernel from inside my pxelinux.cfg without a second dhcp request, because i want to keep my dhcp configuration.
After the first dhcp request my nic is configured and i am loading the kernel with an embedded ipxe script like that:

DEFAULT XXX
LABEL XXX
KERNEL ipxe/ipxe.lkrn

When i ifstat my nic in the ipxe script, the nic link is down and i have to configure it with "ifconf" command. My first question:
- Is it possible to keep the nic link open and just reuse the configuration from the first dhcp request in my ipxe.krnl env?
- If it is not possible how can i pass the pre-configured nic settings (ip, gw ...) from syslinux to the ipxe env to set it up manually? In syslinux i can append the settings with "IPAPPEND 1" but i don't know how to pass it to my ipxe.lkrn? I could edit an additional "static" configurator (dhcp/ipv6/static(new)) and compile it into the ipxe kernel.

Any ideas to that?
kind regards,
stefan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-14, 12:58
RE: ipxe inside pxelinux/syslinux with static ip configuration
(2014-05-11 09:40)sschneid Wrote:  i want to boot ipxe kernel from inside my pxelinux.cfg without a second dhcp request, because i want to keep my dhcp configuration.

As a general rule I would strongly recommend against doing this. However, if you insist then there are a couple of viable approaches:

- load ipxe.pxe rather than ipxe.lkrn: this will reuse the existing DHCP configuration. You will need to open the interface with "ifopen", but it will already have an IP address.

- provide a command line to ipxe.lkrn which uses the "set" command to configure the relevant settings.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-05-19, 08:30
RE: ipxe inside pxelinux/syslinux with static ip configuration
I'd also like to mention that the IPAPPEND feature in pxelinux is basically a macro that expands the IP information pxelinux has into proper kernel command line arguments to configure a (static, I believe) IP address in the kernel to be run. As iPXE doesn't adhere to the same kernel parameters as Linux, the IPAPPEND approach would never work with an ipxe kernel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)