Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iMAC with Broadcom 14e4-1686 BCM57766 : link status down
2017-03-15, 15:48
RE: iMAC with Broadcom 14e4-1686 BCM57766 : link status down
(2017-03-15 15:29)speleo14 Wrote:  
(2017-03-15 14:43)mastacontrola Wrote:  I don't have an account, though creating one shouldn't be too problematic.

Yes it is, because it's not for free (Apple.... Dodgy ).

(2017-03-15 14:43)mastacontrola Wrote:  That said, as this does appear to be a firmware issue, if we can't hold our breaths that a fix will come to place, might it be easier to find out a "change log" of what was changed between firmware B05 vs. B15? Even if it means something was added/adjusted that might be able to be corrected for in the iPXE BCM driver handling? Of course this would lead down a road that would essentially make the Mac's only usable on an 'ipxe' created driver system (Leaving out SNP/SNPONLY I suppse?)

Just thoughts in my head. I don't expect we'll see Apple pushing out a fix for this because of iPXE not working, but maybe we can get what was changed so the Opensource community might be able to provide a work around.

I agree that Apple will probably not fix this (or at least not in the near future), but I have no idea how and where to get any information on what was changed in the firmware...

I checked the Sierra installer and indeed there are 2 install packages there that refer to firmware (EmbeddedOsFirmware.pkg and FirmwareUpdate.pkg); unfortunately, both are .pkg files of the newer type (single binaries, not directories) so there is no possibility to look into them.
Additionally, I checked if the new firmware version for the Late 2015 iMac is available as a download, but it isn't (and neither is the older on that is working).

I have absolutely no experience with Boot ROMs and firmware, so I'm out of ideas what we could try. Anyone else? I have enough (different) Macs here that I can use for testing if anybody has any suggestions on WHAT to test. Big Grin

According to here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

The latest firmware is now B16? Any chance of updating and seeing if something was addressed there?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: iMAC with Broadcom 14e4-1686 BCM57766 : link status down - mastacontrola - 2017-03-15 15:48

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)