Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boot iPXE iso problems
2019-02-16, 16:31
boot iPXE iso problems
Hello,

I have problems to boot with iso ipxe file in virtual machines (I tried with vmware 15 and Virtual Box with the same results)

I create the iso ipxe file from https://rom-o-matic.eu/ , with default opcions, then I run a vitual machine, and it works.

But when I try to create my own ipxe.iso file (download and compile ipxe project), doesn't work, boot from de hard disk. I checked BIOS settings.

To create my own ipxe.iso file, I use this howto (in Ubuntu 18.04):
https://ipxe.org/download

$ git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git
$ cd ipxe/src
$ make
(works withou errors)
$ make bin/ipxe.iso

I need to use a custom ipxe.iso because I have to chache BOOTPS_PORT and BOOTPC_PORT, because I'm using a DHCP which does'nt use the defualt ports.

Thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2019-02-17, 12:15
RE: boot iPXE iso problems
What is the error?
Isn't bin/ipxe.iso created? - if so what is the output from the build?
Or is it created but don't work, and what happens if so?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2019-02-17, 19:29
(2019-02-17 12:15)NiKiZe Wrote:  What is the error?
Isn't bin/ipxe.iso created? - if so what is the output from the build?
Or is it created but don't work, and what happens if so?

Hi NiKiZe,

Before I executed make, the iso was created, then when I executed:
$ bin/ipxe.iso
It said:
make: `bin/ipxe.iso` is up to date

I tested with Ubuntu 14.04 and now it works.

I made some test with Ubuntu 18.04, no one make an iso that boot pxe, but every test made with Ubuntu 14.04 works.

I can create the iso, for me it's ok, but maybe, we have to report the bug to developers.

Thank you!
2019-02-17, 21:26 (This post was last modified: 2019-02-17 21:44 by NiKiZe.)
(2019-02-17 19:29)jordiguerrero Wrote:  Before I executed make, the iso was created, then when I executed:
$ bin/ipxe.iso
It said:

I made some test with Ubuntu 18.04, no one make an iso that boot pxe, but every test made with Ubuntu 14.04 works.

I can create the iso, for me it's ok, but maybe, we have to report the bug to developers.

So no changes during build which means it shouldn't need change.
However one thing to double check is that the system clock is correct.

There mailinglist is the best places to look if anything like this has already been reported, I do know that there is issues with new gcc, but that generally results in build errors.

I might be blind, but I'm not seeing any information on what actually happens when you try to boot this (except for "it dosn't work" which isn't really helpful to try and understand what is going on Wink )

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2019-02-17, 21:38
(2019-02-17 21:26)NiKiZe Wrote:  
(2019-02-17 19:29)jordiguerrero Wrote:  Before I executed make, the iso was created, then when I executed:
$ bin/ipxe.iso
It said:

So no changes during build which means it should need change.
However one thing to double check is that the system clock is correct.

I my opinion, if you dont make any change you can use the bin/ipxe.iso, which the command make creates, but I'll make some change and I'll make the iso again.

Also I'll check the system clock.

Quote:There mailinglist is the best places to look if anything like this has already been reported, I do know that there is issues with new gcc, but that generally results in build errors.

Quote:I might be blind, but I'm not seeing any information on what actually happens when you try to boot this (except for "it dosn't work" which isn't really helpful to try and understand what is going on Wink )

Sorry for that, it doesn't show any error, just boot from hard disk...

Thank you!
2019-02-17, 21:49
(2019-02-17 21:38)jordiguerrero Wrote:  
(2019-02-17 21:26)NiKiZe Wrote:  I might be blind, but I'm not seeing any information on what actually happens when you try to boot this (except for "it dosn't work" which isn't really helpful to try and understand what is going on Wink )

At least explain this clearly,
So when you boot the Ubuntu 18.01 generated ipxe.iso it fails with just booting harddrive instead? if you however replace that iso with one generated elsewhere it works and showing iPXE booting?

Are you sure that is the only change between boots? boot order, or information on the harddrive might affect things, for example in many cases hdd boot is tried first, in the case of nothing on the disc it will try the next boot option.

Even if iPXE itself is built incorrectly and not working (in practice that is ipxe.lkrn) at least the iso should start and show isolinux, if it doesn't it might be syslinux or cdrecord packages that is causing the issues. Any chance you could try to boot the generated ipxe.lkrn instead?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2019-02-18, 17:51
(2019-02-17 21:49)NiKiZe Wrote:  
(2019-02-17 21:38)jordiguerrero Wrote:  
(2019-02-17 21:26)NiKiZe Wrote:  I might be blind, but I'm not seeing any information on what actually happens when you try to boot this (except for "it dosn't work" which isn't really helpful to try and understand what is going on Wink )

At least explain this clearly,
So when you boot the Ubuntu 18.01 generated ipxe.iso it fails with just booting harddrive instead? if you however replace that iso with one generated elsewhere it works and showing iPXE booting?

Are you sure that is the only change between boots? boot order, or information on the harddrive might affect things, for example in many cases hdd boot is tried first, in the case of nothing on the disc it will try the next boot option.

Even if iPXE itself is built incorrectly and not working (in practice that is ipxe.lkrn) at least the iso should start and show isolinux, if it doesn't it might be syslinux or cdrecord packages that is causing the issues. Any chance you could try to boot the generated ipxe.lkrn instead?

Yes it fails with just booting harddrive instead ipxe iso.

Finally when I tried to modify the default ipxe.iso I found the error:
-------------
cp: missing destination file operand after 'bin/iso.dir.oKHL7p'
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
genisoimage: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'isolinux.bin' !
rm bin/ipxe.lkrn.zbin bin/version.ipxe.lkrn.o bin/ipxe.lkrn.bin bin/ipxe.lkrn.zinfo
-------------

I didn't the detect de error, because make generated a lot of information without a clear error. And I was confuse, because with Ubuntu 14.04 I can use the bin/ipxe.iso that create the first make (without need to use make bin/ipxe.iso command)

I read some possible solutions to this error, but I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 to generate my ipxe.iso, which works perfectly.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)