Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Network Speed Before Boot?
2011-10-31, 05:31
Test Network Speed Before Boot?
Is there a way to test the speed of network connections (particularly between the client and the server) using, for example, iPXE script commands? I find it very helpful if this can be done so that users can be informed of the estimated time required for a complete boot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-10-31, 11:47
RE: Test Network Speed Before Boot?
(2011-10-31 05:31)hsuanyeh Wrote:  Is there a way to test the speed of network connections (particularly between the client and the server) using, for example, iPXE script commands? I find it very helpful if this can be done so that users can be informed of the estimated time required for a complete boot.

Yes; you could use the time command to time the download of a file of a known size.

iPXE will already display a percentage progress indicator while downloading files, which may be sufficient feedback for users anyway.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-11-01, 04:41
RE: Test Network Speed Before Boot?
(2011-10-31 11:47)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2011-10-31 05:31)hsuanyeh Wrote:  Is there a way to test the speed of network connections (particularly between the client and the server) using, for example, iPXE script commands? I find it very helpful if this can be done so that users can be informed of the estimated time required for a complete boot.

Yes; you could use the time command to time the download of a file of a known size.

iPXE will already display a percentage progress indicator while downloading files, which may be sufficient feedback for users anyway.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks! I see that percentage progress indicator. Would it be possible to add just a little bit of information after the percentage progress, something like "10% of 30MB"?
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)