Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to build undionly.kkpxe
2011-11-04, 17:46
how to build undionly.kkpxe
I am trying to iPXE boot with menu on an HP Proliant 360G4p but is hangs when trying to hand off the boot to local. I found a post where someone was having a similar issue and it was suggested ot use 'undionly.kkpxe' (with two k's) instead of the normal one. How can I build this modified version?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-11-04, 19:33
RE: how to build undionly.kkpxe
(2011-11-04 17:46)dpuckett Wrote:  I am trying to iPXE boot with menu on an HP Proliant 360G4p but is hangs when trying to hand off the boot to local. I found a post where someone was having a similar issue and it was suggested ot use 'undionly.kkpxe' (with two k's) instead of the normal one. How can I build this modified version?

Code:
make bin/undionly.kkpxe

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-11-04, 22:06
Thanks. I tried using undionly.kkpxe but the server still hangs and fails to boot to CD-ROM.

I will try a few different things.
2011-11-05, 22:40
Well, I have tried everything I can think of. I have my Proliant set to chainload either undionly.kpxe or undionly.kkpxe and the following script.

Code:
#!ipxe
dhcp
set keep-san 1
sanhook iscsi:192.168.3.8::::iqn.freenas.comreshds.local.istgt:win2008-1

But it hangs on trying to boot to CD-ROM after this. I have even disabled the onboard NICs and installed an INTEL card with the same results.

Any suggestions?
2011-11-07, 03:55
(2011-11-05 22:40)dpuckett Wrote:  Well, I have tried everything I can think of. I have my Proliant set to chainload either undionly.kpxe or undionly.kkpxe and the following script.

Code:
#!ipxe
dhcp
set keep-san 1

But it hangs on trying to boot to CD-ROM after this. I have even disabled the onboard NICs and installed an INTEL card with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Falling back to DVD-ROM after a network boot attempt is known to be unreliable on some BIOSes. Since you're using iSCSI and Windows Server 2008, you could try setting up a WDS server: this allows you to perform direct-to-iSCSI installations without using a DVD-ROM. It's simple to set up, and you can find instructions as http://ipxe.org/howto/wds_iscsi.
2011-11-07, 14:22
(2011-11-07 03:55)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2011-11-05 22:40)dpuckett Wrote:  Well, I have tried everything I can think of. I have my Proliant set to chainload either undionly.kpxe or undionly.kkpxe and the following script.

Code:
#!ipxe
dhcp
set keep-san 1

Any suggestions?

Falling back to DVD-ROM after a network boot attempt is known to be unreliable on some BIOSes. Since you're using iSCSI and Windows Server 2008, you could try setting up a WDS server: this allows you to perform direct-to-iSCSI installations without using a DVD-ROM. It's simple to set up, and you can find instructions as http://ipxe.org/howto/wds_iscsi.

Unfortunately I need Server 2003 along with flavors of Linux as well. I may need to to a local install and then push the image up to SAN afterwards.
2011-11-07, 23:54
(2011-11-07 14:22)dpuckett Wrote:  Unfortunately I need Server 2003 along with flavors of Linux as well. I may need to to a local install and then push the image up to SAN afterwards.

Windows Server 2003 doesn't support installation direct to an iSCSI target anyway (although someone has made it work with some hacks - see http://ipxe.org/appnote/xp_2003_direct_install).

For certain Linux distributions, you can use an iPXE script to enable direct-to-SAN installation. There are (incomplete) instructions at http://ipxe.org/howto/rh_san.

Michael
2011-11-09, 15:51
(2011-11-07 23:54)mcb30 Wrote:  For certain Linux distributions, you can use an iPXE script to enable direct-to-SAN installation. There are (incomplete) instructions at http://ipxe.org/howto/rh_san.

Great write-up, Michael!

I've managed to get something working with Ubuntu as well, but not as easy and repeatable as your setup. I had to hack around with a kickstart script and such to avoid grub installing on the MBR of the physical disk instead of the iSCSI volume (it's still not working properly).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)