Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuring iPXE to DHCP probe a specific interface
2018-04-04, 20:47
Configuring iPXE to DHCP probe a specific interface
Hello all, I have a machine with two external 10G NICs and an internal interface. I will only be booting iPXE from one of the 10G NICs so I was wondering if there was some way to possibly have iPXE only probe and send DHCP requests from that one specific interface rather than it cycle through all three each time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-04, 20:53
RE: Configuring iPXE to DHCP probe a specific interface
If it is always that same nic, and iPXE is booted from some local device, then you could have an embeded script that loops over the interfaces and checks the mac before booting that device.

However if you chainload iPXE over the network in the first place, then try snponly.efi (assuming efi here) - that should make it only have that same nic, not multiple ones.

To give more proper examples, could you give us more information about what platform you are booting (pcbios/efi), what nics it is, how iPXE is booted, and which build target of iPXE you are using.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-05, 01:17
RE: Configuring iPXE to DHCP probe a specific interface
(2018-04-04 20:53)NiKiZe Wrote:  If it is always that same nic, and iPXE is booted from some local device, then you could have an embeded script that loops over the interfaces and checks the mac before booting that device.

However if you chainload iPXE over the network in the first place, then try snponly.efi (assuming efi here) - that should make it only have that same nic, not multiple ones.

To give more proper examples, could you give us more information about what platform you are booting (pcbios/efi), what nics it is, how iPXE is booted, and which build target of iPXE you are using.

Ah I see, yeah iPXE is being chainloaded over the network and it is a UEFI environment. I just tried using snponly.efi and it seems to have done the trick. Thank you!
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)