Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ipxe.efi on USB drive is not detecting ax88179 usb nic
2018-01-22, 23:20
Ipxe.efi on USB drive is not detecting ax88179 usb nic
I am trying to boot ipxe from a usb drive and have it detect my USB to Ethernet adapter, so that I can load my ipxe menu from my web server.

I have built ipxe.efi from the source git ipxe repo. And I am using the Startech 31000s USB Ethernet Adapter which uses the ax88179 chipset. I have loaded ipxe.efi onto a USB drive and tried booting from the usb. The computer successfully loads ipxe from the usb but isn't able to find my USB Ethernet Adapter, it gives the message "no more network devices". How can I make ipxe work with my usb NIC?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-23, 08:09
RE: Ipxe.efi on USB drive is not detecting ax88179 usb nic
When building the ipxe target, drivers for usb devices is not included (due to it disabling all other connected USB devices)
For USB NIC boot with axge please try to build ncm--ecm--axge.efi ( you can see http://ipxe.org/appnote/buildtargets for how this works )

Also you might want to make sure that the nic has usbid 0b95:1790

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-24, 06:54
Thank you, that worked!
2018-05-24, 19:33
(2018-01-24 06:54)a_bains Wrote:  Thank you, that worked!

How did it work? I don;t know how to do my own iPXE build, but I really need the USB adapter support that you were asking about. Help! please?
2018-05-25, 07:05
(2018-05-24 19:33)Lost in Space Wrote:  How did it work? I don;t know how to do my own iPXE build, but I really need the USB adapter support that you were asking about. Help! please?

Make sure you have a linux machine, or running the linux subsystem on windows and follow the instructions on http://ipxe.org/download

For the make command use:
make bin-x86_64-efi/ncm--ecm--axge.efi
to build a .efi file rename it to bootx64.efi and put in correct place on a usb device.
There is link to other build targets above.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)