Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EFI boot with ASIX to Ethernet
2018-10-19, 14:36
EFI boot with ASIX to Ethernet
Hello everybody,

I bought a 32-bit Windows Tablet recently and would like to boot with IPXE. This tablet has only a USB 2.0 Port and is capable of booting from usb (tested by installing Ubuntu). So i decided to use my Wii LAN adapter (AX88772 chipset) to try and boot through IPXE (Avoid me to buy another one).

I'm farely new with IPXE. So far I've clone the github project and the following commande:
Code:
cd ipxe/src
make bin-i386-efi/ipxe.efi

It doesnt recognize the device. Is it my USB-Ethernet adapter at fault or do I need to configure it differently?

I've also seen this post on the forum but it doesn't compile on Ubuntu 18.04.

Christopher
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-10-19, 22:08
RE: EFI boot with ASIX to Ethernet
I think you missed to read the "before your first post" post, But Welcome non the less.

USB device support is not included in ipxe.efi builds (Since builds with usb device support kills other usb devices)
Quite sure the AX88772 isn't supported by ipxes native drivers, while the AX88772b is, but could you post the exact usbid? (use lsusb, and post full line for the nic)
To build a possible working iPXE for USB use make bin-i386-efi/ncm--ecm--axge.efi , which should include possible relevant drivers.

One other option is if the machines firmware supports the nic, and it provides an SNP or NII interfaces, if that was the case on your current combo, then it should already have been working with ipxe.efi.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-10-22, 09:00
(2018-10-19 22:08)NiKiZe Wrote:  I think you missed to read the "before your first post" post, But Welcome non the less.

USB device support is not included in ipxe.efi builds (Since builds with usb device support kills other usb devices)
Quite sure the AX88772 isn't supported by ipxes native drivers, while the AX88772b is, but could you post the exact usbid? (use lsusb, and post full line for the nic)
To build a possible working iPXE for USB use make bin-i386-efi/ncm--ecm--axge.efi , which should include possible relevant drivers.

One other option is if the machines firmware supports the nic, and it provides an SNP or NII interfaces, if that was the case on your current combo, then it should already have been working with ipxe.efi.

Hi,

I did read the "before your first post" but when I finished writing the post, I didn't get a popup/notification that it was successful. Sorry, for the inconvenience.

I've tried
Code:
make bin-i386-efi/ncm--ecm--axge.efi

but i get an error
Code:
[BUILD] bin-i386-efi/stringextra.o
core/stringextra.c: In function ‘strtok’:
core/stringextra.c:189:18: error: nonnull argument ‘s’ compared to NULL [-Werror=nonnull-compare]
  sbegin  = s ? s : ___strtok;
            ~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
Makefile.housekeeping:862: recipe for target 'bin-i386-efi/stringextra.o' failed
make: *** [bin-i386-efi/stringextra.o] Error 1

Also here is the usb ID :
Code:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
2018-10-23, 10:04 (This post was last modified: 2018-10-23 10:14 by ChrisLucas29.)
So I recloned the git and it worked but no success. Ipxe still doenst recognize the device (dont get mac @ or any network details). I used this list as a reference to see if my device was compatible.

Don't know if I should do another post about this but is a RTL8153 USB chipset supported by ipxe?
Wasn't on this list so I assume no. http://ipxe.org/appnote/hardware_drivers
2018-10-23, 22:20
Indeed AX88772 is not supported yet.
Best bet would be to grab an AX88179 instead.
yes RTL8153 should be supported, I think it works over the standard ECM interface.
No USB devices are listen on the hardware_drivers page (limitation of the current design of USB device identifiers in iPXE)

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2018-11-19, 11:53
Hi,
I've recently got my hands on usb to ethernet adapter with an AX88179 chipset, but the device isn't recognized by my ipxe.efi.

Code:
Make bin-i386-efi/ncm--ecm.efi

I searched the github project and I found that there is a file for this chipset (ipxe/src/drivers/net/axge.h(.c)).

How can I include this file when I compile my .efi file?
2018-11-20, 00:09
Official git repo is at git.ipxe.org

There is already several threads about this but .... USB drivers are not included in ipxe buildtarget.
to get USB devices build something like bin-x86_64-efi/ecm--ncm--axge.efi
Search the forum for more info.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)