Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible bug in rtc_entropy.c
2019-03-10, 18:21
Possible bug in rtc_entropy.c
Hello,

I have been working with iPXE for a special project and ran into issues with Hyper-V Gen-1 VMs. I read through the forum and saw the history behind this and noted that the code to detect a broken RTC was added to mainline code some time ago. I instrumented the code and found that on newer versions of Hyper-V that test passes and the RTC code attempts to instantiate DRBG and fails when it calls get_noise. Tracing through I found that the process runs along fine until rtc_sample where it just freezes. Looking at the Assembly code in rtc_sample I noticed something odd. The current mainline code has two jz instructions that reference the label :1b, but that label does not exist in the code fragment. I'm bit sure why the assembler doesn't complain about it, but I suppose it leaves it for the linker to deal with and the linker ignores the issue because the code is embedded. In any event looking at the code I also noticed there are two identical labels :1 present. Overall it looks like some cutting and pasting may have resulted in assembly code that has flaws. I changed the second label to :2 leaving the first as :1 and then targeted the first jz at :1 an the second at :2 and the code started to function and the VMs could boot.

Perhaps this could be reviewed and updated if my assumptions are correct ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2019-03-11, 11:12
RE: Possible bug in rtc_entropy.c
I would recommend that you post this to the ipxe-devel mailing list for it to reach the right audience.

Read the FAQ before posting.
Did you include relevant ipxe.org error urls?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)