Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asix AX88179 USB to Ethernet Adapter
2019-05-13, 15:31 (This post was last modified: 2019-05-16 15:37 by Max.)
Asix AX88179 USB to Ethernet Adapter
Hello,

I have previously had iPXE working on a Mellanox NIC, however during testing we noticed that iPXE was not working on our ASIX AX88179 USB Adapter.

I have seen the FAQ and other posts about this with workarounds however these are not working for me. The issue I am having is that as soon as the DHCP command is run in the iPXE shell and configures the ASIX adapter, iPXE no longer takes any input and I'm forced to reboot the system.

This issue has occurred when compiling ncm--ecm--axge.efi, axge.efi, and ipxe.efi.

If anyone has a method that has worked with this driver I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Max

Also, to clarify the keyboard works again if I chain an Ubuntu/Cent ISO directly once it takes me to the installer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2019-05-15, 21:14
RE: Asix AX88179 USB to Ethernet Adapter
So the main issue is that Keyboard stops working after DHCP in EFI mode.
Are you using a USB keyboard as well?
Have you tried to use a script to see if boot works - just to confirm if keyboard is the only thing that dies?
if you have issues with pure ipxe.efi (which does not have USB support) than there is something else going on that hangs probably...

EFI firmware and timers that are involved with USB and the iPXE Keyboard driver when USB is used, is a likely culpit, reading the git commit history for the USB keyboard stuff will give some insight into how messy EFI is there.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2019-05-16, 15:33
That is strange, if i load an ISO directly instead of my menu it takes me through the install with the ncm--ecm--axge.efi. However, I have been doing all of this testing through BMC on a server half a country away.

I'll need to look more into the USB issues to see how the virtual keyboard works. In the meantime if there are any other paths to look into please let me know.

Thank you

(2019-05-15 21:14)NiKiZe Wrote:  So the main issue is that Keyboard stops working after DHCP in EFI mode.
Are you using a USB keyboard as well?
Have you tried to use a script to see if boot works - just to confirm if keyboard is the only thing that dies?
if you have issues with pure ipxe.efi (which does not have USB support) than there is something else going on that hangs probably...

EFI firmware and timers that are involved with USB and the iPXE Keyboard driver when USB is used, is a likely culpit, reading the git commit history for the USB keyboard stuff will give some insight into how messy EFI is there.
2019-05-16, 17:21
in the one case you don't wait for keyboard input, and in the other you do, correct?
So I still think it is EFI TPL level I think it is called that is causing you issues.

just to be sure, you are using latest git master correct?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2019-05-20, 17:26
(2019-05-16 17:21)NiKiZe Wrote:  in the one case you don't wait for keyboard input, and in the other you do, correct?
So I still think it is EFI TPL level I think it is called that is causing you issues.

just to be sure, you are using latest git master correct?

Yes, in one case there is no waiting for the input and it loads a preseeded Ubuntu ISO, and in the other I go to a menu that waits for an input.

I am using the latest git master as well.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)