Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TFTP issues with current build
2019-07-17, 21:40
TFTP issues with current build
I'm working on replacing a syslinux based legacy bootloader running from WDS that provides technicians with tools with one that works over UEFI. I will admit that this is all pretty new to me, but I've hit a wall and am not sure how to proceed. Essentially I seem to not get any actual connection attempt from tftp (neither the WDS server nor a test TFTP server set up see any incoming connection attempts. the window tftp client works fine and is able to download using the same path)

I receive correct ip/subnet/gateway from DCHP verified with route command. I can ping the TFTP servers and they can ping this machine. These are on the same scope (and same switch).

Trying to use chain http://$[next-sever}/boot/x64/bootmgfw.efi or the equivalent for my test server correctly expands that variable into the IP I define, but times out after a short delay. As mentioned, logs on the TFTP server show no connection attempts from this.

Process:
git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git
make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi EMBED=menu.ipxe (menu.ipxe is ripped from https://gist.github.com/robinsmidsrod/3871687 with some changes to accommodate continuing the boot process).

I've tried several pieces of logic found on here for this, starting here:

set netX/next-server x.x.x.x
imgexec tftp://${netX/next-server}/boot/x64/bootmgfw.efi

ipxe.efi is being served by WDS itself (it is set as n12bootprogram) and this boots correctly into the menu. The only changes I made to the build was to enable ping and embed the menu. Not sure where to go from here, would appreciate any advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2019-07-19, 06:18
RE: TFTP issues with current build
your best friend is probably tcpdump or wireshark so that you can see what is going on, and compare non working with working

also worth mentioning wimboot, and suggesting that you skip tftp, WDS isn't exactly the fastest thing (much due to TFTP)

Windows TFTP is much of a black box, I think there is a few howtos on ipxe.org, might be worth reading, not as howtos in your case but mostly about all the gotchas with windows tftp server.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)