Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running dhcp
2019-08-15, 21:59 (This post was last modified: 2019-08-15 22:06 by obie.)
Running dhcp
I'm running into issues with running 'dhcp' when starting up an iPXE script and trying to get access to the network.

Im running on a SeaBios on ASUS chromebox hardware.

The problem I run into when running dhcp is that it seems to lock up when running 'dhcp' with 'Waiting for link-up on net0'. It hangs there and I'm not able to Ctrl C to get out and waiting doesn't seem to help. It doesn't seem to fail either.

When running fstat, I get net0 .... closed + Link Down, and Link status: down (ipxe.org/38086101).

When I'm running on the Developer console on the machine, I'm able to connect the network just fine but it seems that I can't from the BIOS/ iPXE script. I just cloned ipxe so I should be on the latest version. I'm on a tested/working ethernet connection.

Something to do with the network firmware?

Script in totality:

Code:
echo Ifstat results
  ifstat
  echo before dhcp
  dhcp
  echo After dhcp
  set base http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64

prompt -k 0x197e -t 2000 Press F12 to install CentOS... || exit
  kernel ${base}/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img repo=${base}
  initrd ${base}/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
  boot

Thanks for your help.
Digging some more it seems like this is relevant http://ipxe.org/dev/drvtest/link?

Is just polling and waiting on ifstat to report a good connection the solution? Or just putting in a wait?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2019-08-20, 23:07
RE: Running dhcp
Missing info:
iPXE binary that you are using: (ie what is the build target) also are you sure that you are using the latest git master?
pciid of the nic.

some errors are normal to see from ifstat.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)