Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 boot on different hardware
2012-09-26, 11:44
Windows 7 boot on different hardware
I've been running a machine via iscsi boot for a while and the machine has developed a hardware problem. I want to be able to boot the image that the old machine was using on replacement hardware. However as expected I get the dreaded 0x07b stop error. I've turned off the lightweight filter in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\{B70D6460-3635-4D42-B866-B8AB1A24454C}\Ndi

and setting

FilterRunType = 2

key in registry - this one should stop it from attaching to any new NICs detected. But I still get a 0x07b stop error. I've tried syspreping the image and preinstalling the drivers, making sure that the lightweight filter isn't attached. I'm pretty sure the drivers are in the critical device section of the registry (it's a intel 1000 CT desktop, same nic on both machines) so the drivers are standard with windows 7.

Can anyone think of anything I could be missing? It's driving me up the wall. Ideally I would like an image I can boot off any hardware but windows 7 really doesn't like this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-09-28, 08:36
RE: Windows 7 boot on different hardware
How about booting WinPE with the iSCSI drive hooked and then start the repair part of the windows installer? Maybe it will fix something you missed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-10-01, 16:19
RE: Windows 7 boot on different hardware
(2012-09-28 08:36)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  How about booting WinPE with the iSCSI drive hooked and then start the repair part of the windows installer? Maybe it will fix something you missed.

Thanks, I will try this, I've never used winpe, fortunately there is plenty of documentation.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)