Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DHCP option 203
2012-10-09, 17:06
DHCP option 203
So, I need to base the IQN of my iPXE-booted initiators off of MAC addresses rather than uuid. I have multiple, identical hardware platforms, so the identical uuid is throwing off my iSCSI target software. I'm running dnsmasq on my network, and already have all the hardware mounting the iSCSI target and booting from it normally. I added the following to my dnsmasq.conf file:

dhcp-option=203,"iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:${mac:hexhyp}"

This sort of works, as every iPXE booted machine uses that exact string for the IQN. Is there any way to use the variable like you would in a script via DHCP instead? I'm not using a script at all, and I'd like every needed option to come from DHCP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-10, 02:02 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-10 02:03 by mcb30.)
RE: DHCP option 203
(2012-10-09 17:06)digitalis99 Wrote:  So, I need to base the IQN of my iPXE-booted initiators off of MAC addresses rather than uuid. I have multiple, identical hardware platforms, so the identical uuid is throwing off my iSCSI target software. I'm running dnsmasq on my network, and already have all the hardware mounting the iSCSI target and booting from it normally. I added the following to my dnsmasq.conf file:

dhcp-option=203,"iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:${mac:hexhyp}"

This sort of works, as every iPXE booted machine uses that exact string for the IQN. Is there any way to use the variable like you would in a script via DHCP instead? I'm not using a script at all, and I'd like every needed option to come from DHCP.

You'll need to use a script to get that behaviour. Use something like:

Code:
#!ipxe

set initiator-iqn iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:${mac:hexhyp}
sanboot ${root-path}

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-10-10, 16:03
Thanks. I figured out how to do it by script, I was just hoping to not have to hit the TFTP server a second time, since I'm chainloading iPXE. If script is the only method, then script it is.
Find all posts by this user
2012-10-10, 16:10
(2012-10-10 16:03)digitalis99 Wrote:  Thanks. I figured out how to do it by script, I was just hoping to not have to hit the TFTP server a second time, since I'm chainloading iPXE. If script is the only method, then script it is.

You can embed the script within the iPXE binary: http://ipxe.org/embed

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)