Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wimboot and Hyper-V
2012-11-01, 02:33 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-01 02:34 by MultimediaMan.)
wimboot and Hyper-V
Hello again!

Observed on a Hyper-V server:

Guest VM with a Legacy (PXE enabled) NIC:

iPXE Loads, and will deliver a wide variety of images (CentOS, RedHat, SUSE 11) without issue.

But when using wimboot, v0.9x-v1.0, when the wimboot wim image load finishes, the guest crashes immediately and reboots.

Using wimboot v1.01-1.02 the wim image load completes, but gets stuck at a blinking cursor.

VMware-based guests served from the same iPXE TFTP and Webservers do not exhibit this issue and go on to boot the wim successfully.

Thoughts or ideas for troubleshooting?

Best,

Matt

"Thus far, you have been adrift within the sheltered harbor of my patience..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-11-01, 10:06
RE: wimboot and Hyper-V
My first bet would be to enable some kind of debug logging in Hyper-V, so you can see exactly what that crash is in terms of CPU registers and such.

Other than that I'd report it on the mailing-list as a bug (with as much information as possible). To help sort it out you should try to be on IRC to help with debugging/testing as I believe none of the core developers use Hyper-V on a daily basis.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-01-01, 01:49
There is a fix which addresses the iPXE/wimboot issue (and a bunch more) in KB Article KB2744129

"Thus far, you have been adrift within the sheltered harbor of my patience..."
Find all posts by this user
2013-01-03, 10:00
Good to know. It's easy to see how a low-level timer issue can cause a bunch of strange behavior. Glad you got it sorted!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)