Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Problem with iSCSI and WDS (Solved with DHCP route for iPXE User Class)
2013-03-07, 16:54
RE: Problem with iSCSI and WDS (Solved with DHCP route for iPXE User Class)
I think the wording needs to be slightly different to take into account Microsoft DHCP servers

current
If the default gateway is not required for booting (i.e. if you are booting entirely from the local subnet), then you can simply not provide a default gateway to iPXE. The DHCP user class can be used to customise the DHCP response which is given to iPXE.

suggested
If the default gateway is not required for booting (i.e. if you are booting entirely from the local subnet), then you should set the default gateway using the iPXE user class to be the address of the iSCSI target.

The reason for the suggested change is that on a Microsoft DHCP server, all of the options are provided unless they are overridden by a more specific option. You might set the some options at the server level, then override them at the scope level, and then override them within the scope with a user class.

Simply not setting the default gateway, will means that the iBFT will contain the actual default gateway, which was the root cause of the problem that I experienced.

I do not know if this would be required on other DHCP servers, but as the article features pictures and instructions for the Windows DHCP server, I think that the documentation should match.

Cheers

Arne
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problem with iSCSI and WDS (Solved with DHCP route for iPXE User Class) - ArneLovius - 2013-03-07 16:54

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)