iPXE discussion forum

Full Version: Sanboot Debian question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
Im trying to sanboot from an iSCSI target, using iPXE and Debian. My plan is, to setup a target on Debian, than from a client connect to it, than install a base Debian with debootstrap on that LUN, than install grub also. At iPXE should it work, only specifying something like sanboot iscsi:10.0.4.1:::1:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe.dolphin:storage? Or should I place the kernel and the initrd on a TFTP server than specify where the root filesystem is?
(2013-11-10 07:47)Renhy Wrote: [ -> ]Im trying to sanboot from an iSCSI target, using iPXE and Debian. My plan is, to setup a target on Debian, than from a client connect to it, than install a base Debian with debootstrap on that LUN, than install grub also. At iPXE should it work, only specifying something like sanboot iscsi:10.0.4.1:::1:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe.dolphin:storage? Or should I place the kernel and the initrd on a TFTP server than specify where the root filesystem is?

When SAN-booting using iPXE, you do not need to place the kernel+initrd on a separate TFTP (or other) server. iPXE hooks the iSCSI target as a virtual BIOS disk, and the copy of grub present on the iSCSI target disk then loads the kernel+initrd from the disk's own filesystem exactly as with a local hard disk boot.

Michael
Reference URL's