iPXE discussion forum

Full Version: hang on iPXE initialising devices...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using PXElinux 6.03-Pre6 to chain boot iPXE

LABEL ipxe
kernel ipxe.lkrn dhcp && chain http://10.48.128.56/wimboot.ipxe

All I get after selecting the menu entry in PXELINUX is
iPXE initialising devices...

Then it just hard hangs, no CTL-ALT-DEL, have to power cycle.
Any idea why this is happening?
(2014-03-04 16:52)VirtualNobody Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using PXElinux 6.03-Pre6 to chain boot iPXE

LABEL ipxe
kernel ipxe.lkrn dhcp && chain http://10.48.128.56/wimboot.ipxe

All I get after selecting the menu entry in PXELINUX is
iPXE initialising devices...

Then it just hard hangs, no CTL-ALT-DEL, have to power cycle.
Any idea why this is happening?

It seems to be getting stuck somewhere during device initialisation. Could you try building iPXE with DEBUG=device,pci,undiload,undinet and see what output gets produced?

Thanks,

Michael
(2014-03-05 14:51)mcb30 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to be getting stuck somewhere during device initialisation. Could you try building iPXE with DEBUG=device,pci,undiload,undinet and see what output gets produced?

Thanks for the reply...

I just did a git clone and a make DEBUG=device,pci,undiload,undinet on a RHEL 6.5 system. I copied ipxe.lkrn into my /tftpboot directory.

Now I get:
iPXE initialising devices...Adding 3c509 root bus
Adding PCI root bus

Then the hard hang.

Same result on both a VMware 5.5 virtual and a Dell T3600. Maybe it's because neither of these systems have an old PCI bus?
(2014-03-05 22:10)VirtualNobody Wrote: [ -> ]I just did a git clone and a make DEBUG=device,pci,undiload,undinet on a RHEL 6.5 system. I copied ipxe.lkrn into my /tftpboot directory.

Now I get:
iPXE initialising devices...Adding 3c509 root bus
Adding PCI root bus

Then the hard hang.

Same result on both a VMware 5.5 virtual and a Dell T3600. Maybe it's because neither of these systems have an old PCI bus?

Does the same problem happen if you load iPXE directly (e.g. PXE->ipxe.pxe), rather than going via pxelinux (PXE->pxelinux->ipxe.lkrn)?

Michael
Getting this type of behavior as well. Emulex BE2 and BE3, with undionly DHCP Fails. If I load the iPXE ISO on the same hardware, it hangs.
(2014-03-07 07:19)MultimediaMan Wrote: [ -> ]Getting this type of behavior as well. Emulex BE2 and BE3, with undionly DHCP Fails. If I load the iPXE ISO on the same hardware, it hangs.

The ISO also goes through syslinux. Does the same problem arise if using a method which bypasses syslinux/pxelinux, e.g. using ipxe.usb?

Michael
Reference URL's