iPXE discussion forum

Full Version: Bootloader that creates a local partition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this is not exactly iPXE related, but is there a bootloader that takes an image (preferably in a packed form like ISO), creates a local partition on the PCs disk (if available) and boots from there?
The background is that I may have to boot images that exceed the size of some machines' RAMs. I figured that such a bootloader would help in that case.
If there's nothing like it, what would be my best bet? I'm not really fit enough to write a bootloader myself, could I possibly boot a very small Linux and write a script for this task?
And as a general question: Is there any "best practise" on how to be able to boot any image, regardless of content or structure? During my test I found memdisk to be only working for some images (also with differing parameters from image to image) and wimboot obviously only working for WinPE based images (also with some not working correctly). I would love to have a way of not having to worry about a new image not working, even at the cost of performance.

Kind regards,
Philipp
(2014-03-12 08:44)pholler Wrote: [ -> ]I know this is not exactly iPXE related, but is there a bootloader that takes an image (preferably in a packed form like ISO), creates a local partition on the PCs disk (if available) and boots from there?

Aren't you just describing the normal process of installing an operating system to a local hard disk?

Michael
Reference URL's