iPXE discussion forum

Full Version: Multiple Wim Or Variable Passing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I know this has been asked in the past but I wanted to see if anyone had any new ideas. I have a bunch of images that are just slightly different, if I could pass varibles through wimboot, then I could have one image and a script that knew how to handle that. Or if I could attach a secondary wim that just had what I needed. Then I could have the one main image I maintain and a few small ones. Any ideas?

My only thought right now was to have a system checking to a webserver while booting a image, then once the image starts ask the webserver what the ipxe menu said.
(2015-12-17 21:04)danberk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

I know this has been asked in the past but I wanted to see if anyone had any new ideas. I have a bunch of images that are just slightly different, if I could pass varibles through wimboot, then I could have one image and a script that knew how to handle that. Or if I could attach a secondary wim that just had what I needed. Then I could have the one main image I maintain and a few small ones. Any ideas?

My only thought right now was to have a system checking to a webserver while booting a image, then once the image starts ask the webserver what the ipxe menu said.

For now there is no support to changing wim files on the fly. My own current setup for this is running ipconfig and parsing out nic MAC and then post that to an server using wget.

An alternative to this is to add an parameter by loading different BCD files, On my todo list is to have scripts that can generate BCD files with given parameters. But I have not had much time to work on it for a long time now. (have posted some details about it on the forum before)
(2015-12-17 21:04)danberk Wrote: [ -> ]I know this has been asked in the past but I wanted to see if anyone had any new ideas. I have a bunch of images that are just slightly different, if I could pass varibles through wimboot, then I could have one image and a script that knew how to handle that. Or if I could attach a secondary wim that just had what I needed. Then I could have the one main image I maintain and a few small ones. Any ideas?

A single .wim may contain multiple images. These are stored efficiently, so files that are identical between multiple images will be stored only once.

You can select the boot image by passing the "index=<N>" parameter to wimboot.

Michael
Reference URL's