iPXE discussion forum

Full Version: iPxE Win 10 Unattended Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to figure out how to setup the Windows 10 CD to Install over the Network while additionally trying to use an unattend file to make it unattended.

I can make it work fine if I use a usb thumb drive on a regular computer

I have tried to make an iso that includes the autounattend.xml using Magic Iso and sanboot but the error i get is "Boot from SAN device 0x80 failed: Exec format error"

If I use the original Win 10 iso, sanboot works fine.

I have also tried to do it the other route in which I am not using an iso, but just loading in the actual files with a boot.php as follows:

#!ipxe

kernel wimboot
initrd bcd bcd
initrd boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd boot.wim boot.wim
boot

The problem is somehow I have to also:

run the setup.exe
have an unattend xml present
have the install.wim accessible as it contains the majority of the data for the install.

Obviously I could try to use WDS, but I was curious to see if there was an alternative way
Hi burligaaron,

the way is much longer to get it running. The meanproblem is to trigger the unattend.xml.

my way is that i boot a customized WinPE which mounts the Windows installfiles as a share and run from there the setup.exe with a parameter.

I am using dnsmask as dhcpProxy and tftpserver and apache for image upload and samba for service the winfiles. It took days for me to find out what is a working setup.
Reference URL's