iPXE discussion forum
Boot from Alternative Interface... - Printable Version

+- iPXE discussion forum (https://forum.ipxe.org)
+-- Forum: iPXE user forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Boot from Alternative Interface... (/showthread.php?tid=474)

Boot from Alternative Interface... - MultimediaMan - 2011-09-16 19:36

Is there a way to PXE boot iPXE from one interface, then iSCSI boot from another?

At the iPXE Command Prompt, when I type dhcp net0, all works normally... but when I attempt to access the other network adapter, no dice.

It probably is worth mentioning that the other network adapter has no PXE ROM.

So do I have to specify the network drivers at compile time?

I'm including the lspci dump.

Code:
00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 82)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge (non-transparent mode) (rev 15)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
$

Thanks!

M^3

RE: Boot from Alternative Interface... - robinsmidsrod - 2011-09-17 08:00

(2011-09-16 19:36)MultimediaMan Wrote:  Is there a way to PXE boot iPXE from one interface, then iSCSI boot from another?

At the iPXE Command Prompt, when I type dhcp net0, all works normally... but when I attempt to access the other network adapter, no dice.

So do I have to specify the network drivers at compile time?
Code:
00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 82)

I believe what you want to do should be possible, but you need native drivers for both cards available, AFAIK. And you do need to either specify which drivers you want or use an all-drivers image and recompile.

Does your SiS 900 match one of these PCI vendor/product IDs?

Code:
PCI_ROM(0x1039, 0x0900, "sis900",  "SIS900", 0),
PCI_ROM(0x1039, 0x7016, "sis7016", "SIS7016", 0),

If it does, then you should be able to get access to it if you boot ipxe with the sis900 driver in the package. If you're currently booting with undionly.kpxe or something similar I assume you won't get access to it, as the driver for your sis900 is not available.

I believe the all-drivers make target is called ipxe.pxe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) if you intend to chainload it. If you're building a ROM image for your realtek adapter you need to add two, not just one, drivers into your image. The romburning tutorial doesn't mention how to do this, but hopefully someone else can chime in and explain how to do that.

The ifstat command should help you figure out if your network card is available or not.

Once you have both cards operational (and with valid IP details) sanhook/sanboot should be able to access your resources without problems.

RE: Boot from Alternative Interface... - MultimediaMan - 2011-09-17 08:22

Yeah, that's the impression I have received...I'll try to compile an ipxe with just those two drivers and give it a go. I don't have enough space left in the BIOS image to do it in the BIOS, but if I build a PXE image with the drivers loaded, I should be OK.

Again, there isn't really explicit documentation on the syntax of loading drivers into a PXE image, let alone multiples.

RE: Boot from Alternative Interface... - robinsmidsrod - 2011-09-18 09:56

(2011-09-17 08:22)MultimediaMan Wrote:  Again, there isn't really explicit documentation on the syntax of loading drivers into a PXE image, let alone multiples.

I was browsing through my IRC logs, and I found one mention of this syntax to choose drivers. Not sure if it is correct, but at least you should be one step closer to understanding what to look for in the Makefile and documentation.

Code:
make bin/rtl8139--r8169.pxe

So I'm guessing that your compile line should be something like this:

Code:
make bin/rtl8169--sis900.pxe
make bin/103c8169--sis900.rom

But don't blame me if it blows up when you flash it into your BIOS.

RE: Boot from Alternative Interface... - MultimediaMan - 2011-09-18 10:25

No worries... Smile