iPXE discussion forum
How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - Printable Version

+- iPXE discussion forum (https://forum.ipxe.org)
+-- Forum: iPXE user forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: How to remove LACP support from iPXE? (/showthread.php?tid=7993)

How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - FpohCc0 - 2016-03-22 15:50

The LACP responder in src/net/eth_slow.c is causing a problem for me. I'd like to disable it.

I've found that commenting out 'REQUIRE_OBJECT ( eth_slow );' in src/net/ethernet.c seems to do the trick.

Is that the right way to do it? Are there other methods which might be more appropriate and/or flexible (perhaps a DHCP option or similar)?

RE: How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - NiKiZe - 2016-04-01 21:25

(2016-03-22 15:50)FpohCc0 Wrote:  The LACP responder in src/net/eth_slow.c is causing a problem for me. I'd like to disable it.

What kind of issues is it causing for you? Maybe it is something that can, and should be fixed instead?

(2016-03-22 15:50)FpohCc0 Wrote:  I've found that commenting out 'REQUIRE_OBJECT ( eth_slow );' in src/net/ethernet.c seems to do the trick.

Is that the right way to do it? Are there other methods which might be more appropriate and/or flexible (perhaps a DHCP option or similar)?

Seems that is The only way at the moment, The more correct way would probably be something along the lines of moving that require to config/config_ethernet.c and add ifdefs and defines in the config/*.h files

RE: How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - FpohCc0 - 2016-04-02 22:12

(2016-04-01 21:25)NiKiZe Wrote:  What kind of issues is it causing for you? Maybe it is something that can, and should be fixed instead?

There's no problem with the implementation that needs to be fixed. The issue is the configuration of the switch ports: When there's no LACP speaker, they present a single VLAN with no 802.1Q tags. When an LACP speaker appears (after the OS loads - until I started using iPXE), the list of available VLANs changes because the LAG logical interface carries different VLANs than the individual members of the LAG when they're operating independently.

I do this to isolate the boot environment from the production environment without requiring changes to the switch port configuration.

The switch sends an LACP PDU ~30 seconds after the link comes up. It took me a long time to figure out why download of my initrd was failing after about 200MB! It was because the VLAN was suddenly withdrawn from the interface, because the aggregation had formed.

Configuring the switch ports to do LACP in passive mode would probably have accomplished the same thing.

I wonder if the problem I was having isn't the same as this problem.

RE: How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - mcb30 - 2016-04-18 10:18

(2016-04-01 21:25)NiKiZe Wrote:  
(2016-03-22 15:50)FpohCc0 Wrote:  I've found that commenting out 'REQUIRE_OBJECT ( eth_slow );' in src/net/ethernet.c seems to do the trick.

Seems that is The only way at the moment, The more correct way would probably be something along the lines of moving that require to config/config_ethernet.c and add ifdefs and defines in the config/*.h files

Now done: http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/40a8a52. Build option in config/general.h is NET_PROTO_LACP.

Michael

RE: How to remove LACP support from iPXE? - FpohCc0 - 2016-04-21 19:59

(2016-04-18 10:18)mcb30 Wrote:  Now done: http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/40a8a52. Build option in config/general.h is NET_PROTO_LACP.

Fantastic, thank you!