iPXE discussion forum
Local boot menu with extended information - Printable Version

+- iPXE discussion forum (https://forum.ipxe.org)
+-- Forum: iPXE user forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Local boot menu with extended information (/showthread.php?tid=8159)

Local boot menu with extended information - Marida - 2016-08-18 16:26

Hello,

I need to create a boot menu with only local drives and additional information (bios drive number, bus type, model, serial number, capacity). And allow user to select only boot devices that pass hard-coded filter (I plan to hardcode boot menu and filter rules into "autoboot.c").

I've found some structures in "ata.c", but no code points or examples how to access (or prepare) list of local disks (IDE/SATA/USB). Maybe someone knows good starting point?

Thanks in advance

RE: Local boot menu with extended information - NiKiZe - 2016-08-21 19:34

(2016-08-18 16:26)Marida Wrote:  I need to create a boot menu with only local drives and additional information (bios drive number, bus type, model, serial number, capacity).

I've found some structures in "ata.c", but no code points or examples how to access (or prepare) list of local disks (IDE/SATA/USB).

There is no support currently in ipxe for any kind of "disk access"
The exception being support to log to a raw partition of a specific type (see partition structure and types when building ipxe.usb)

The ata.c code you refer to is AFAIK only used as an abstraction layer for the AoE implementation which is an alternative to iSCSI.

So you might instead want to look into some other tools to do what you want, maybe it could be a linux kernel that does the data collection and then reboots the machine or something similar.