Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DHCP Option (iPXE View)
2011-12-28, 02:32 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-28 02:35 by MultimediaMan.)
DHCP Option (iPXE View)
OK, I was using a Windows DHCP Server in conjunction with the Remote Boot Service for Windows Embedded: I wasn't sure what options it was offering up "under the covers". It looked a lot like DHCP Options 17 and 67, but I couldn't see those options populated with my input; so I wrote a quick and dirty little Windows script which belts out a semi-usable ipxe script: just change ",," to "&&" in a text editor...

Code:
@ECHO OFF

::Script to create DHCP option query

SETLOCAL

SET OPT_VALUE=0

ECHO #!ipxe>dhcp.ipxe

:LOOP
IF %OPT_VALUE% GEQ 254 GOTO END
SET /A OPT_VALUE=%OPT_VALUE%+1
ECHO echo %OPT_VALUE% ,, echo ${%OPT_VALUE%} ,, sleep 1 >>dhcp.ipxe

GOTO LOOP

:END

ECHO prompt>>dhcp.ipxe

ENDLOCAL
PAUSE

For the Record...what I was looking for was what the RBS handed out as far as a path and file... it used DHCP Option 253 to do the following where: %BOOTIMAGE% and %BOOTPARAMETERS% are the two variables I found in the RBS which I did not know the mechanics of: Microsoft, ever so thoughtful, did NOT document this...

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=ramdisk(0)\windows
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\windows="Windows XP Embedded" /rdpath=net(0)\%BOOTIMAGE% %BOOTPARAMETERS%

Again, In the Remote Boot Server UI, these look a lot like DHCP Options 17 and 67, but alas, they are not...

"Thus far, you have been adrift within the sheltered harbor of my patience..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-09-28, 10:13
RE: DHCP Option (iPXE View)
If you have access to a packet trace that is usually much more helpful in figuring out what gets transmitted. The "config" iPXE command (http://ipxe.org/cmd/config) is also useful to see what you have.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)