Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
download with WDS very slow
2012-07-26, 09:47
download with WDS very slow
HI,

We have a WDS server.
When ipxe load boot.sdi, the transfert is very very slow (2h to load)

If we remove ipxe and use the wds loader, boot.sdi loads in 1sec.

Do you know why ?
We don't have this problem to load others linux images

Thanks you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-07-26, 10:14
RE: download with WDS very slow
If you're not using the latest iPXE version from git I would suggest you try that first. It has some important fixes that speeds up TCP/IP.

If that doesn't make a difference I think you'll need to do a packet trace (http://www.ipxe.org/howto/pcap) and see if you can understand why things are slow.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-07-26, 11:09 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-26 11:38 by nORKy.)
It's the latest ipxe-git version.
I do some trace with wireshark, but I don't understand all. There is many "ICMP host unreachable". I don't know what is it exactly.
sorry, it's not a ICMP problem.
This is a screenshot
[Image: pcap.jpg]

an other one
[Image: pcap2.jpg]

WDS is 10.32.168.2, .30 is the client
2012-08-01, 14:48
Screenshots of packet traces are not so useful. The packet trace file is what is required to debug the problem.
2012-11-09, 15:34 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-09 15:35 by Alphakarem.)
(2012-08-01 14:48)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  Screenshots of packet traces are not so useful. The packet trace file is what is required to debug the problem.

Any Idea / solution for this yet ? .. I am having the same issue
Thank you
2012-11-10, 08:14 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-10 08:15 by robinsmidsrod.)
The packet trace screenshot you put up didn't really help, but you might have a problem on your network that makes the TFTP downloads that WDS uses much slower than usual. You might have luck using wimboot to boot your WinPE images directly instead of relying on the Microsoft-supplied tools for booting into WDS. The SSCM iPXE howto might also be of interest.
2012-11-12, 15:57
(2012-11-10 08:14)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  The packet trace screenshot you put up didn't really help, but you might have a problem on your network that makes the TFTP downloads that WDS uses much slower than usual. You might have luck using wimboot to boot your WinPE images directly instead of relying on the Microsoft-supplied tools for booting into WDS. The SSCM iPXE howto might also be of interest.

the Slowness on WDS has been resolved, I verified the issue isn't with iPXE but rather a problem with BOOTMGR.EXE. you need an older version of BOOTMGR.EXE, the one from Windows Vista proved reliable and deliver good performance. This Solution was found here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...bd6faf02ef

From a Vista CD 32bit extract bootmgr.exe from the file boot.wim located under sources file, to extract you must have WAIK installed and from the WAIK CLI type :

imagex /mount e:\vistax86\boot.wim 2 e:/mounted_images

then simply copy the file bootmgr.exe from e:/mounted_images folder to both your x86 and X64 folders paste their overwriting what you have there.

Hopefully that helps someone else.
2012-11-14, 10:48
Thanks you

We found an other solution.

You need to change some value on the ramdiskoptions of the ramdisk boot.wim with the bcdstore
(sorry, I don't remember values, I tested many values before it works !)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)