Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE.efi can't detect network device
2012-09-05, 15:32
iPXE.efi can't detect network device
Dear All,
I have built ipxe.efi 64 bit,my network device card is pcnet32,but ipxe.efi can't detect network device,i only get the log "No more network devices".but if boot to ipxe via ipxe.iso,ipxe can detected the network device card.

After debug ipxe.efi,i found that ipxe.efi enter the function efi_pci.c\efipci_driver_startup,but not enter efi_pci.c\efipci_start,
Do you know the root cause?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-09-07, 09:00
RE: iPXE.efi can't detect network device
I would suggest you read http://ipxe.org/efi/vision to understand the limitations of iPXE in an EFI environment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-09-09, 11:21
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your helpful reply,
After read the link very serious,I think that UEFI iPXE option ROM can't detect network device and can't preload via network.If I have a wrong,please correct me.
Do you have plan to support UEFI iPXE option ROM,could you tell me the schudule,because our project is using the ipxe with bios enviroment and all we trust ipxe team,so we think uefi ipxe option rom will make product valuable.
2012-09-14, 11:01
I do believe that both .efidrv and .efirom targets are available in the makefile, so you can create ROM files that are UEFI-compatible for your network cards. But as the above link I posted explains, it will not give you any iPXE-specific benefits in an UEFI environment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-09-20, 23:51 (This post was last modified: 2012-09-21 14:45 by noisome.)
(2012-09-05 15:32)daniel Wrote:  Dear All,
I have built ipxe.efi 64 bit,my network device card is pcnet32,but ipxe.efi can't detect network device,i only get the log "No more network devices".but if boot to ipxe via ipxe.iso,ipxe can detected the network device card.

After debug ipxe.efi,i found that ipxe.efi enter the function efi_pci.c\efipci_driver_startup,but not enter efi_pci.c\efipci_start,
Do you know the root cause?

I don't use pcnet32 but I use all sorts of network cards for testing in a UEFI environment. I am using snponly.efi which is much like the undionly.kpxe is for legacy PXE.

# cd /src
# make /bin-x86_64-efi/snponly.efi

It has worked for both Emulex and Broadcom chipsets although may not be what you want.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)