Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ipxe and proxydhcp
2013-02-06, 03:02
ipxe and proxydhcp
if i download the stock ipxe iso and boot up it will see the server and get its ip address but cannot get its bootfile name. the server is not the dhcp server. the router is acting as the dhcp server.

regular pxe booting works on countless machines over a year. ipxe doesn't. is it possible i'm doing something wrong? shouldn't ipxe work without any user intervention like regular pxe? has this problem been reported before?

the server is a w2k8 r2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-02-06, 04:02
RE: ipxe and proxydhcp
(2013-02-06 03:02)garegin Wrote:  if i download the stock ipxe iso and boot up it will see the server and get its ip address but cannot get its bootfile name. the server is not the dhcp server. the router is acting as the dhcp server.

regular pxe booting works on countless machines over a year. ipxe doesn't. is it possible i'm doing something wrong? shouldn't ipxe work without any user intervention like regular pxe? has this problem been reported before?

the server is a w2k8 r2.

Could you please either

(a) perform a packet capture of the DHCP interaction, or

(b) build with DEBUG=dhcp and report the output after typing "dhcp" at the iPXE command line.

Thanks,

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-02-06, 05:49
(2013-02-06 04:02)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2013-02-06 03:02)garegin Wrote:  if i download the stock ipxe iso and boot up it will see the server and get its ip address but cannot get its bootfile name. the server is not the dhcp server. the router is acting as the dhcp server.

the server is a w2k8 r2.

Could you please either

(b) build with DEBUG=dhcp and report the output after typing "dhcp" at the iPXE command line.

Thanks,

Michael

it threw a bunch of errors on osx. i have the stock xcode with 10.7. are you willing to compile it yourself and send the file to me via torrents.
2013-02-19, 18:57
(2013-02-06 05:49)garegin Wrote:  
(2013-02-06 04:02)mcb30 Wrote:  

the server is a w2k8 r2.

Could you please either

Thanks,

Michael

it threw a bunch of errors on osx. i have the stock xcode with 10.7. are you willing to compile it yourself and send the file to me via torrents.

i compiled the debug build. here is a screenshot with the error.

http://ipxe.org/err/06016001

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2013-02-19, 19:27
(2013-02-19 18:57)garegin Wrote:  i compiled the debug build. here is a screenshot with the error.

That error represents a transmission being deferred until ARP resolution completes; it isn't a "real" error. I've updated http://ipxe.org/err/06016001 to mention this.

The screenshot is difficult to read, but it looks as though both DHCP and ProxyDHCP are completing successfully. Is it possible that the server is simply handing out the wrong information? A packet capture would probably be useful.

Michael
2013-02-19, 20:18
(2013-02-19 19:27)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2013-02-19 18:57)garegin Wrote:  i compiled the debug build. here is a screenshot with the error.

That error represents a transmission being deferred until ARP resolution completes; it isn't a "real" error. I've updated http://ipxe.org/err/06016001 to mention this.

The screenshot is difficult to read, but it looks as though both DHCP and ProxyDHCP are completing successfully. Is it possible that the server is simply handing out the wrong information? A packet capture would probably be useful.

Michael

it has been handing out the information fine to hundreds to different machines over a year. do you want me to get the info from the pxe menu where to can enter it manually and show it to you?
2013-02-19, 20:42
(2013-02-19 20:18)garegin Wrote:  it has been handing out the information fine to hundreds to different machines over a year. do you want me to get the info from the pxe menu where to can enter it manually and show it to you?

No, I would like to see a packet capture, in order to see the actual contents of the DHCP packets.

Thanks,

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)