Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple xserve booting
2014-07-10, 17:10
Apple xserve booting
Hi,
I followed the instructions for 2013 Mac Pro booting above (but don't seem to be able to post in that thread) I have been able to get iPXE started up on the xserve and it sees the network cards, but it fails to boot the image. I get the following error:
Could not boot image: Exec Format error

http://ipxe.org/err/2e0080

Mine does not have as many start up types as in the example. I only have: HTTP DNS TFTP EFI Menu

I'm thinking I probably need bzImage, but I'm not sure how to include it in the EFI compile, Any tips?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-07-10, 18:56
RE: Apple xserve booting
(2014-07-10 17:10)goldenfri Wrote:  I'm thinking I probably need bzImage, but I'm not sure how to include it in the EFI compile, Any tips?

What are you aiming to boot? If it's a Linux kernel, you'll need to use one with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-07-10, 21:13
(2014-07-10 18:56)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2014-07-10 17:10)goldenfri Wrote:  I'm thinking I probably need bzImage, but I'm not sure how to include it in the EFI compile, Any tips?

What are you aiming to boot? If it's a Linux kernel, you'll need to use one with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

Michael

Yes, its a linux kernel. How do I include "CONFIG_EFI_STUB"?
2014-07-11, 01:24
(2014-07-10 21:13)goldenfri Wrote:  
(2014-07-10 18:56)mcb30 Wrote:  What are you aiming to boot? If it's a Linux kernel, you'll need to use one with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

CONFIG_EFI_STUB is a Linux kernel compilation option. Try opening your kernel in a hex editor: if the first two bytes are "MZ" then you have a kernel with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

CONFIG_EFI_STUB causes the kernel binary to become a valid EFI executable, which allows it to be invoked by iPXE (or even directly from the EFI shell).

Michael
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-07-11, 14:55
(2014-07-11 01:24)mcb30 Wrote:  
(2014-07-10 21:13)goldenfri Wrote:  
(2014-07-10 18:56)mcb30 Wrote:  What are you aiming to boot? If it's a Linux kernel, you'll need to use one with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

CONFIG_EFI_STUB is a Linux kernel compilation option. Try opening your kernel in a hex editor: if the first two bytes are "MZ" then you have a kernel with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled.

CONFIG_EFI_STUB causes the kernel binary to become a valid EFI executable, which allows it to be invoked by iPXE (or even directly from the EFI shell).

Michael
I am trying to use a pxelinux.0 with maas so I imagine it should already have that enabled, but I will try and investigate that, thanks.

Is there any significance to not having all the additional "Features" that the default build has though? I can't help but think that may actually be my problem because they are mentioned in the page that describes the error. Do these features need to be specifically compiled? Sorry I'm not a developer so my knowledge is limited.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)