Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I boot from a root filesystem (maybe squashfs or dd image)?
2017-10-03, 11:33
RE: How can I boot from a root filesystem (maybe squashfs or dd image)?
Just to avoid any future confusion ...
(2017-10-03 09:05)MultimediaMan Wrote:  Looking at the boot screen again, he's using a Hyper-V Gen 2 VM; that VM is booting from a Hyper-V EFI BIOS.
Indeed Hyper-V Gen 2 is EFI only, but this is not a Gen 2 VM

If we look at the Features line on the image where it was claimed that iPXE froze:
[Image: 6DDgmng.png]

We see that there is PXE and bzImage support available, but those can only be included in pcbios builds. EFI builds on the other hand have the EFI features flag.

(2017-10-03 09:05)MultimediaMan Wrote:  I've run into the issue many times with many Distros. Even newer PC BIOS kernels can experience the issue if you do not explicitly specify initrd=initrd.img

The VFS message means the vmlinuz kernel can't find the initrd.

Again initrd= is only needed on the cmdline for EFI.

In the image with VFS message, it is when there was no initrd loaded at all, as in:
Code:
kernel http://10.0.0.2/ipxe/vmlinuz
boot
The reason for this test was to verify that the kernel actually booted, before introducing any possible issues that could have been due to initrd.
Quote:Here is what happens with only the kernel and boot options:
[Image: Jhssl4q.png]

MultimediaMan is perfectly correct that if this was an EFI boot then initrd= would be needed.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can I boot from a root filesystem (maybe squashfs or dd image)? - NiKiZe - 2017-10-03 11:33

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)