The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Slow HTTP Download Thread
2017-10-13, 00:11
Another Slow HTTP Download Thread
Hello, not new to PXE booting, but am moving over to IPXE for my BIOS production environment. To make a long story short, I'm not able to get anywhere near the HTTP speeds everyone else is getting with their IPXE. My current setup is:

undionly.kpxe
ipxe.kpxe - latest from Rom-o-Matic as of 10/12/2017
ipxe.kpxe - Built from git source aug 2017 (don't have exact version)

Server is on a Gen2 Hyper-V Machine
I have tried:
miniweb HTTP Server
lighthttp HTTP Server
Windows 10 Pro IIS Web server
Currently NGIX Web server

Normal clients can, with a browser can do a file request and get it in the time one would expect through an HTTP download. However, when using IPXE and either wimoot or memdisk (loading a Parted Magic ISO to rule out wimboot), HTTP is actually slower then TFTP! My current infrastructure loads Windows PE images with TFTP, and an increased block size which helped the speed, but the real puzzle is when I put IPXE into it, my HTTP speeds are very slow. 5 minutes for a 600MB Windows PE WIM.

I have tried a variety of clients, as this is a PC repair shop, and they all exhibit the same behaviour. I have ruled out the HTTP server, as I went through the ones above, and the throughput was the same, slow via IPXE and very quick with a browser. Are there any features to "tune" in IPXE? I build an IPXE via Rom-O-Matic and even with native drivers, things are still slow with HTTP..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Another Slow HTTP Download Thread - gizmoshq - 2017-10-13 00:11

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)