Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very slow kernel/initrd download (RPI + U-boot)
2019-09-18, 12:03
RE: Very slow kernel/initrd download (RPI + U-boot)
(2019-09-05 00:35)NiKiZe Wrote:  make sure that you build an image that includes the nic driver instead of relying on nii/snp interface.

Sorry for the delay. I tried building with `bin-arm32-efi/smsc95xx--lan78xx--snp.efi` which I thought included the two possible Raspberry Pi NIC drivers. But this showed the same slow download behavior as `snp.efi`. Building without `snp` (`smsc95xx--lan78xx.efi`) fails to find any network devices. Looks like Michael added a shortcut build rule for Raspberry Pis to the Makefile here, not sure how he was able to get it working.

(2019-09-05 00:35)NiKiZe Wrote:  But other than that, a tcpdump is probably in order to see where the issue is, if it is re-transmits or similar.

Good call, tcpdump file is here. I started the capture once iPXE booted and killed it after ~10 seconds. The kernel download had only reached ~2% during that time. After ~5 seconds the capture shows a large block of retransmits. The network is healthy and the Raspberry Pi when running u-boot is able to download files using TFTP at expected speeds. Any suggestions for debugging this further?

Thanks for the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Very slow kernel/initrd download (RPI + U-boot) - ljfranklin - 2019-09-18 12:03

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)