Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assembler 'make' errors on Mac OS X
2013-07-22, 23:02
RE: Assembler 'make' errors on Mac OS X
Thanks, Robin. I didn't see that option in man, but curiously it only reveals the gcc commands (or, only what it perceives to be build instructions, rather than all shell calls). I managed to narrow down the error to this shell call in Makefile.housekeeping:
OLDGAS := $(shell $(AS) --version | grep -q '2\.9\.1' && $(ECHO) -DGAS291)

It looks like that console error is probably cosmetic, and due to --version flag not being supported by 'as'. The real hangup was this hard error:
./include/compiler.h:196:1: error: "__weak" redefined

I scanned for "__weak" and only got a hit in compiler.h for its definition. I first tried making it conditional, then tried commenting it out, both with the same result (apparently it's being pre-defined somewhere outside of ipxe's source). That pre-definition may in itself be a conflict, but getting past that error just revealed the next layer of the onion:

[BUILD] bin/__divdi3.o
cc1: error in backend: Global variable 'obj___divdi3' has an invalid section specifier '.provided': mach-o section specifier requires a segment and section separated by a comma.
make: *** [bin/__divdi3.o] Error 1

Any guidance? Am I swimming upstream trying to get this to build under Xcode's tools? Or am I but one small step away from the solution?

In my other thread, you made a good suggestion to just install an Ubuntu VM to do the build. That would probably be pretty quick, but I've tried to avoid springing up VMs unless I really need to.

Thanks,
Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assembler 'make' errors on Mac OS X - Richard - 2013-07-22 23:02

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)