Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel i350 dualport, mac mismatch
2013-10-27, 14:10 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-27 14:10 by HHML.)
RE: Intel i350 dualport, mac mismatch
(2013-10-27 10:34)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  Are you sure that your Linux distribution isn't renaming the ethernet devices during bootup. I think udev can be configured to do this, and e.g. Ubuntu does this by default, as it detects new cards in the machine.

It might be renaming devices, but the hardware has a one and two printed on the back of the server, Intel always uses the lowest numbered mac addresses for the '1' interface and the higher mac for the second interface. Running ipxe with intel debug on does show it is using the highest mac to sent/receive data. Ofcourse not a big deal but now I've got to add 2 mac addresses to dhcp/tftp config files.

(2013-10-27 10:34)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  As far as I know, iPXE does not support LACP in any way, and you getting linkup on one of the channels is just the switch working in some standardized fallback mode when connected to a non-LACP system.

Also be aware that the way iPXE numbers ethernet devices is not guaranteed to be the same as your operating system does it. Different systems, different rules.

To be able to understand better what's going on, we'll need some sharp photos or log files which show what is going on.

I'm pretty sure it is supporting the LACP negotiation, the switch refuses to forward packets when no lacp answers are received from the server. I'll try to get some debug logging from the switch, afaik I did see lacp packets from the ipxe client.

To make things more robust, I've embedded a script to use the net0 interface to boot and add both mac addresses to the dhcp and tftp services.

I'll try to take some pictures about the mac adresses and try to obtain a log from the switch.

btw: eth_slow.c states it implements a simple lacp entity. might ofcourse be dead code when using the intel driver, but I do think it is doing 'something' with lacp or the switch would keep refusing to forward packets.

Eric.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel i350 dualport, mac mismatch - HHML - 2013-10-27 14:10

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)