Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPXE deployment with WDS
2013-11-28, 21:38 (This post was last modified: 2013-11-29 00:22 by Draculea.)
RE: iPXE deployment with WDS
So after a lot of trial and error i got part of my problem solved.

If you disable WDS to respond to the PXE Responses in the management window the "undionly.kpxe" will load just fine. iPXE client response configured in dhcp to boot up a script file from the local webserver.

In the script used the following:

#!ipxe
set initiator-iqn iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:win7e-iscsi.ipxe.local
set iscsi-target iscsi:192.168.1.2:::0:iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:one-win7e-target
set root-path ${iscsi-target}
set keep-san 1
sanhook ${root-path}
#WDS Init
set wdsserver:ipv4 192.168.1.2
set net0/next-server ${wdsserver}
chain tftp://${wdsserver}/boot\\x86\\wdsnbp.com

all good it hooks up to the target just file. was not able to do it without setting the initiator.

it falls back at the end to the WDS boot menu just fine. well except the speed which is crap but i was expecting that after reading the forums.

The problem now is that after the WINPE boot, the WDS does not receive an IP from the DHCP.

Also been watching the iSCSI target and it cycles from "connected" to "not connected" after 1-2 minutes.

Any advice how to progress further?

(2013-11-28 11:30)Draculea Wrote:  
(2013-11-27 21:46)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  You might find some help at http://ipxe.org/howto/msdhcp in terms of how to setup the Windows DHCP server to send out the iPXE boot loader to clients.

Let me be more explicit.

My lab infrastructure is the latest MS has to offer, Server 2012 R2. Clients are Win 7 and Win 8.1 but that is irrelevant.

If i boot the iPXE ISO all is fine, DHCP can hand out whatever i put in option 67. But than means i am already an IPXE client.

But i do not want the ISO, i want chainloading. If i try to hand out "undionly.kpxe" from the TFTP server (WDS) i always get the pxeboot.n12 instead.

I need to somehow chainload iPXE and after the pxeboot.n12 or maybe have iPXE as option in the pxeboot.n12.

Is there something i have done wrong or misunderstood? If someone has more experience with this kind of setup, please ideas or advice.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
iPXE deployment with WDS - Draculea - 2013-11-26, 18:35
RE: iPXE deployment with WDS - Draculea - 2013-11-28 21:38

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)