Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no physical memory for windows boot manager
2014-02-03, 17:26
RE: no physical memory for windows boot manager
Thanks for the replies. I had been running an older BIOS, but had upgraded as part of testing with iPXE. One of the BIOS updates (Sept 2012) specifically addresses an issue booting PXELINUX. The upgrade made one of the red screens of death go away, but I still wasn't able to boot from the local disk.

I was finally able to resolve my issue. I had been using undionly.kkpxe and switching to undionly.kpxe solved my issue. This is in addition to the BIOS updates. I am now running I31 12/20/2013.

For others who are having issues PXE booting HP blade servers, I suggest the following:

1. UPGRADE THE BIOS! HP updates them often enough - its worth doing.
2. Try different iPXE images - .kpxe, .kkpxe, and .kkkpxe - different systems will react uniquely to each (some of my HP servers would boot fine off of kkpxe or kpxe - others only kpxe)
3. Try different boot methods - when I switched to kpxe, my G6 servers wouldn't boot using sanboot (but the G8s would). But switching back to exit worked fine, even on the G8 servers that wouldn't previously work with exit.
4. Don't be afraid to add lots of prompt to your script to help you debug and see where things go wrong.

I've been able to do some cool stuff so far with iPXE - its been worth the effort to figure it out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: no physical memory for windows boot manager - captain obious - 2014-02-03 17:26

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)