The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Using iPXE to install OneFS (FreeBSD 7) via Razor-server
2014-10-22, 02:37 (This post was last modified: 2014-11-12 19:47 by isi_spike.)
Using iPXE to install OneFS (FreeBSD 7) via Razor-server
New install of razor-server using iPXE 1.0.0+ (86285)
Razor Server version: 0.15.0
Razor Client version: 0.15.1

I am a bit of a PXE noob, but I have banged my head against it enough to know the ropes.

I am working on doing a razor-server install of OneFS (http://www.emc.com/storage/isilon/isilon...system.htm) onto a OneFS hardware node. The currently accepted method for installing OneFS onto a node is to use dd to copy a .img file onto a USB stick

Code:
dd if=/tmp/OneFS_v7.1.1.84_reimg.img  of=/dev/disk2 bs=64k

and then boot from that USB stick. When the node boots from the USB it automatically begins the install process and you are prompted with "Are you sure you wish to destroy the boot drive partitions (yes/no)?" over the serial console for the node, if you enter yes a couple of times it installs just fine. If I can get razor-server to do the same thing, mission complete, I have separate scripts that can take over from the point where you are prompted for input on the serial console. I am not having any issues with razor-server and it appears to be doing everything that it should do. I can install CentOS onto normal bare metal compute nodes without issues using the same razor-server setup.

My problem is that I am unsure of how to effectively replicate the process of booting from this .img file via iPXE as if I were doing it via the local USB port. I have tried dozens of different options in my boot_install.erb (the file containing the iPXE instructions in razor_server), here are a few of my failures, from my memory (so they might not be 100% what I used at the time, but I tried just about everything), to give you an idea.

Note: I am using tftp to transfer the larger files as http (the default) is unreliable for me and tftp is reliable, altho slow.

#!ipxe
sleep 3
imgfree
imgexec tftp://192.168.0.200/OneFS_v7.1.1.84_reimg.img

#!ipxe
sleep 3
kernel <%= repo_url("memdisk") %>
initrd tftp://192.168.0.200/OneFS_v7.1.1.84_reimg.img
boot

#!ipxe
sleep 3
kernel <%= repo_url("memdisk") %> iso
initrd tftp://192.168.0.200/OneFS_v7_1_1_1.iso
boot

I am not even sure that this .iso would work, but it is converted from the .img file and may work. I have mostly abandoned using a .iso as it is a level of abstraction that seems unnecessary and likely to cause problems.

Any help, examples or suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Using iPXE to install OneFS (FreeBSD 7) via Razor-server - isi_spike - 2014-10-22 02:37

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)