The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Server 2012 R2 iSCSI boot
2015-04-10, 19:52
Windows Server 2012 R2 iSCSI boot
Attempting to boot Windows from iSCSI target. I was able to successfully do it on an older laptop to validate proof of concept, but on this board and this board, I've been unsuccessful. Both Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Server 2012 R2 install fine onto the iSCSI target, but reboot after the first startup (after sanboot).

Here's what I'm doing:
I have windows installation media on USB, boot order set PXE then to USB.

PXE Boot iPXE (chain) with iSCSI support
!#ipxe
dhcp
sanhook iscsi:<ip>:::<lun>:<iqn>
sanboot --no-describe --drive 0x81

It then skips to the next medium in the boot order (USB), and runs the windows installer. I then install windows onto the iSCSI target. On the svme1908, I have to load network drivers in Windows 7 before the iSCSI target presents itself as an install target, but on the C163, I don't. Window Server 2012 R2, no drivers are required, the target shows up fine.

Installation goes fine.

First reboot, I escape into the iPXE prompt and do:
dhcp
sanboot iscsi:<ip>:::<lun>:<iqn>

And it boots into the Windows logo, and eventually BSODs (both Win7 and Server 2012 R2)

I'm thinking I have the same woes as this thread - could it be because these boards each have 4 network ports, and the iBFT isn't being properly populated? The test laptop that worked had only one NIC.

Any ideas what I should try next? Hopefully something stupid and obvious.

Patrick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Windows Server 2012 R2 iSCSI boot - paquetp - 2015-04-10 19:52

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)