Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SOLVED] Problem Flashing with BOOTUTILW64E [FLB File]
2015-11-15, 08:47 (This post was last modified: 2015-12-03 04:35 by cottsay.)
RE: [SOLVED] Problem Flashing with BOOTUTILW64E [FLB File]
I just stumbled upon this thread while trying to flash my 82574L, and I thought I'd report my findings for anyone else that makes their way here.

Unfortunately, when I was trying to use the directions that jrsmile posted, BOOTUTILW64E.EXE just ended up hanging. In retrospect, this was probably because the new image was larger than the old one and I didn't bother to change the size in the .flb header. In any case, instead of investigating the .flb problems, I tried to troubleshoot why flashrom wasn't working correctly (I was getting the same error that jrsmile mentioned on Mint).

It turns out that if your kernel is configured with CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM=y, flashrom won't work. So I ended up re-compiling my kernel with it disabled, and flashrom lit up. I had to use a pretty recent build of flashrom to get support for the 82574L, by the way.

From there, I read the ROM contents (total of 512K) and looked around for PXE code using "cat backup.bin | xxd | less". I found that the PXE code started at offset 0x2000, so I dumped the contents of 808610d3.mrom at that point (which overwrote all of the original PXE code) using some "dd" shenanigans. After I wrote it back to the card with flashrom, everything lit up!

iPXE briefly shows up during BIOS initialization (where IBA used to initialize), and I have an iPXE entry in my BIOS boot menu, which works as expected.

Thanks to robinsmidsrod and jrsmile for sharing this conversation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [SOLVED] Problem Flashing with BOOTUTILW64E [FLB File] - cottsay - 2015-11-15 08:47

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)