Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
undionly and oracle's virtualbox
2017-03-02, 14:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-03-02 14:24 by iucounu9.)
RE: undionly and oracle's virtualbox
Thanks hugely for this, it resolved an (albeit different) issue for me.

I was facing a strange problem whereby pxeboots would fail, due to tftp timeouts, with VirtualBox, and some desktop-class machines (e.g., Dell XPS), but succeed with enterprise workstations (e.g., Dell T series and HP Z series) and KVM. But the failures would only happen in a certain zone in our network. I suspected it was a PXE ROM issue, but couldn't prove it. Network packet tracing didn't provide an answer. So I thought I'd search for an alternative ROM than the PXE-2.1 ROM that VirtualBox uses, and found your post.

Thanks again!

(2016-03-17 12:56)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  This is a virtualbox issue. Try to not use the extension pack ROM and instead use a custom iPXE ROM built with the CONFIG=vbox make parameter. See src/config/vbox/README for details on how to build it.

I should clarify: the issue was a problem with TFTP timing out. The client would get an IP from DHCP on the kickstart server, which was also the TFTP server. The firewall was configured to allow TFTP, as it did fine for other classes of clients. As soon as the ROM was replaced, it worked. I still don't know what the cause was, but may take a look in how ipxe works to see how it establishes TFTP that could account for the fix.

(2017-03-02 14:15)iucounu9 Wrote:  Thanks hugely for this, it resolved an (albeit different) issue for me.

I was facing a strange problem whereby pxeboots would fail, due to tftp timeouts, with VirtualBox, and some desktop-class machines (e.g., Dell XPS), but succeed with enterprise workstations (e.g., Dell T series and HP Z series) and KVM. But the failures would only happen in a certain zone in our network. I suspected it was a PXE ROM issue, but couldn't prove it. Network packet tracing didn't provide an answer. So I thought I'd search for an alternative ROM than the PXE-2.1 ROM that VirtualBox uses, and found your post.

Thanks again!

(2016-03-17 12:56)robinsmidsrod Wrote:  This is a virtualbox issue. Try to not use the extension pack ROM and instead use a custom iPXE ROM built with the CONFIG=vbox make parameter. See src/config/vbox/README for details on how to build it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: undionly and oracle's virtualbox - iucounu9 - 2017-03-02 14:15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)