The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
undionly, ipxe, and dhcp
2016-02-18, 16:37
undionly, ipxe, and dhcp
I am having an issue with undionly, ipxe, and microsoft's dhcp server and wondered if anyone here had a suggestion.

I recently had to build up Windows Server 2008 on one machine, which also acts as an iSCSI target for a diskless Windows 7 machine. I finally managed to get everything working, however I still have one issue which is now causing more problems.

The issue is that when the diskless machine first attempts the network boot it requests an IP address from the DHCP server, and the microsoft dhcp server happily gives it one. Then ipxe starts and it requests an IP, this time however the microsoft dhcp server thinks this is a new device and attempts to give it a different address, but since our pool is limited to one, the correct one, the dhcp fails. I got around this to make everything boot by just adding an additional IP to the beginning of our pool. This appears to work, however if undionly gets the second address, then ipxe gets the new address I added and then once windows starts for some reason that is the address that sticks even though windows is configured with a static IP. At this time our scripts can not communicate with the diskless machine. So if our pool is 192.168.0.1 and .2, everything works fine when undionly gets .1 and ipxe gets .2, because windows has a static address of .2.

Looking in the dchp server it looks like the device id had a bunch of leading zeros when undionly is requesting an address, and when ipxe fetches an address it is just the mac address. I have checked the configuration against the old hardware and everything looks the same, however the old system only used one IP and it all worked.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matthew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
undionly, ipxe, and dhcp - mshoemaker - 2016-02-18 16:37
RE: undionly, ipxe, and dhcp - NiKiZe - 2016-02-18, 16:45
RE: undionly, ipxe, and dhcp - NiKiZe - 2016-02-18, 22:06
RE: undionly, ipxe, and dhcp - NiKiZe - 2016-02-19, 14:31
RE: undionly, ipxe, and dhcp - NiKiZe - 2016-02-19, 19:08

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)