The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need to support as many devices as possible!
2016-08-04, 23:06
Need to support as many devices as possible!
Hi, I am wondering how I can configure iPXE to support as many different laptops / machines as possible. I repair Laptops & PC's so often the first thing I like to do is boot them from the network and run various tools such as anti-virus scanners, Hardware tests (Memtest, etc), or disk cloning software.

It's been a couple of years since I last played around with iPXE but I still have it all configured and working well with my custom menu and applications (like the ones mentioned above). I think the reason I stopped using it was because I found that I was unable to boot many types of laptops using iPXE so had to resort to using USB flash drives / DVD media for running the tools I needed.

Can anyone advise how I might be able to configure iPXE to support as broad a range of NIC's as possible?

I am using undionly.kpxe built using an embedded basic script which chainloads iPXE. This is the contents of the script:

Code:
#!ipxe

dhcp
chain http://192.168.1.105:8085/boot.ipxe

I use DNSMasq for my DHCP and have the following configured as an additional option:

Code:
dhcp-boot=undionly.kpxe,qnap,192.168.1.105

Many thanks in advance,
Graham
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Need to support as many devices as possible! - BirtyBassett - 2016-08-04 23:06

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)