The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 807 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.15 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 807 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No DHCP IP if OFFER or ACK coming from non-BOOTPS port
2016-10-17, 08:46
No DHCP IP if OFFER or ACK coming from non-BOOTPS port
Hi,

We've run into some problems that took us a while to troubleshoot with iPXE. Imagine a random setup with a DHCP server, a DHCP relay, and a client. All is set up as one normally would. The following flow will then proceed:
  • Client performs a DHCP discover
  • DHCP relay passes on discover to DHCP server
  • Server receives DHCP discover
  • Server sends DHCP offer
  • Relay passes on offer to client
  • etc.
This all works nicely if the DHCP relay is a well behaving relay, or the client is not too picky. In our case, we use a Checkpoint firewall as a relay. The Checkpoint firewall is.. euhh.. not quite well behaved: it sends the packets on to the client on a random non-privileged port (>1024). So you get:
  • Discover
  • Offer
  • Discover
  • etc..
When checking the iPXE source we see there is a hard requirement that the source port that the offer and ack packets are sent from to the client HAVE to be on the BOOTPS port (from: https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/blob/maste...dp/dhcp.c, line 400):
Code:
if ( ip.s_addr && ( peer->sin_port == htons ( BOOTPS_PORT ) ) &&

Now, if I check the RFC, I couldn't find a solid confirmation that this behaviour is a requirement. Apparently, the client in the OS (happens to be Linux) is more lenient and accepts it just fine.

So I wonder: is Checkpoint wrong in answering from an odd port, or is iPXE unnecessarily picky in this case?[/code]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
No DHCP IP if OFFER or ACK coming from non-BOOTPS port - Shoikan - 2016-10-17 08:46

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)