Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[solved] Problem with installation on iscsi target
2011-10-11, 10:19 (This post was last modified: 2011-10-12 19:35 by mcblack.)
Post: #1
[solved] Problem with installation on iscsi target
Hi there,

I'm new to iPXE and this is my first post here so I'll introduce myself.

My Name is Marcus, 32 years of age and working as team-lead of a IT-Suppor department.

I'm using gPXE for about 2 years in my Workstation now and would like to switch to iPXE for my new HTPC system.

The problem is, that I don't see the iscsi disk in the setup of Windows 7 Ultimate X64 even after iPXE said "Preserving connection to SAN" in the boot process.

I'm using the following setup :

Client :

Asus E35M1-I Deluxe
Onboard NIC

Booting from a USB Stick with a iPXE built from git yesterday evening.

PCI Vendor : 10ec
PCI Device : 8168

It seems like this mainboard is using the EFI approach but I'm not completely sure about that.

Server :

Fedora 15 X64
tgtd as iscsi target

I need to lookup the Installer-Logfile in the evening and will post the results here, because I have no access to the system right now.

Maybe someone has a clue what might be going on here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-10-12, 19:20
Post: #2
RE: Problem with installation on iscsi target
OK guys,

you can shoot me.

I've found the troubleshooting page with the "Shift+F10" hint and tried to find the ipconfig output.

Guess what .....

Yes, I've gotten no ip since no driver was loaded for my network interface. I really thought a Realtek 8168 Gigabit interface would have a driver provided by the Windows install DVD.

Live and learn ......

For people like me unfamiliar with the Windows setup program, you can get a "DOS-like" shell in the setup when hitting "Shift+F10" and from there you can start to debug your problem.

I've loaded the driver from the Mainboard DVD and the iscsi device showed up as install target.

But there was another problem.

Windows setup told me that it could not install Windows on that device. Error code 0x80300001 .

But I got that figured out, too.

I just needed to delete all partitions and created a new one (windows will create 2. First one with about 200MB and a second one with the rest).

At least I thought so.

For a reason I don't quite understand I needed to delete those two partitions again (they were created by the setup program) and do this step again.

Once again Windows creates 2 partitons and this time it's a valid install target.

Hope that helps someone with similar problems.

Best regards

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)