Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driver issue on diskless windows installations
2018-03-06, 03:31
Driver issue on diskless windows installations
Hey there and thank you in advance for any assistance.

I have been trying to install any version of Windows to an iSCSI drive. I understand windows 10 currently does not work, so I tried windows 7. The workstation I did this on was a Lenovo s30 which uses the driver: e1i63x64.sys file from what I can tell. The problem I'm having is, when doing the boot after the install, I get an error saying the certificate for that .sys file could not be verified. I press enter, hit F8, select disable driver verification, and then it comes up with an error about the same file saying it's missing or corrupt. I have tried numerous different windows 7 iso's. I was successful at installing Windows 7 in a VM via the same method though(I'm assuming it's not using that driver).

My question is, has anyone else encountered this? Is there any recommendations to get past this part? Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-06, 06:47
RE: Driver issue on diskless windows installations
You need the correct driver package. The invalid certificate after reboot is due to the wrong package being used.
You not only need the .sys file but also .inf and .cat, and you need it for the correct OS
If you take the files from Windows 10, it might be that it is not "supported" in windows 7.

During the first PE step these things are not checked.
What you need is the same version of PE as the actual version you are installing, and then you need to add (install at runtime should work fine) the correct driver into PE which it should then copy over during installation.

You should be able to find the correct files in any of the "intel network drivers" that you can download from their homepage, just extract their setup program with 7zip or similar.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-06, 18:07
RE: Driver issue on diskless windows installations
(2018-03-06 06:47)NiKiZe Wrote:  You need the correct driver package. The invalid certificate after reboot is due to the wrong package being used.
You not only need the .sys file but also .inf and .cat, and you need it for the correct OS
If you take the files from Windows 10, it might be that it is not "supported" in windows 7.

During the first PE step these things are not checked.
What you need is the same version of PE as the actual version you are installing, and then you need to add (install at runtime should work fine) the correct driver into PE which it should then copy over during installation.

You should be able to find the correct files in any of the "intel network drivers" that you can download from their homepage, just extract their setup program with 7zip or similar.

Hmm.. this may clear up one of the questions I had.. I was under the impression that when installing via winpe, it didn't utilize the drivers from winpe and only the installation media that I load up over SMB. I did try embedding the newest drivers into the installation wim, but it made no difference.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)