Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSOD on windows 10 using iscsi and intel nuc
2018-04-10, 16:45
BSOD on windows 10 using iscsi and intel nuc
Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to say that this forum has provided a wealth of information regarding iPXE, it's been a great resource for me and my team.

I'm currently upgrading an ISCSI setup from windows 7 to Windows 10 Enterprise, our setup uses iPXE to setup iscsi and chain into WDS to install the OS.

Everything works fine until it comes time to install the latest NIC drivers, our model NUC uses the I218-LM nic. Once the NIC drivers are installed the system reboots and BSOD's with an inaccessible boot device error.

I've tried every combination of drivers and settings prior to rebooting, even different versions of Windows 10, using cmd line I've traced the issue to the base driver, once the base driver is installed the system will no longer boot to windows.

ISCI Target-Service logs on the server (Windows Server 2016) during boot stay that the initiator successfully logged on than 5-7 seconds say that initiator successfully logged off.

I've posted this same question on the intel support forums as it really seems to be a specific driver issue, I've tried newer model NUCs with the same issue.

Has anyone encountered this problem? It really seems specific to Windows 10 and intel NUC and their drivers, our regular PC's have no issue booting via ISCSI once the intel drivers are installed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-10, 17:25
RE: BSOD on windows 10 using iscsi and intel nuc
Essentially win10 iSCSI is broken, one issue is Lightweight Network Filter which needs to be reconfigured after driver install.
This is also an issue on some specfic builds during the installation of windows.

You mention no issue on regular PCs is that with Win10 and the sam build?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-10, 17:30 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-10 17:41 by Foxcolt.)
(2018-04-10 17:25)NiKiZe Wrote:  Essentially win10 iSCSI is broken, one issue is Lightweight Network Filter which needs to be reconfigured after driver install.
This is also an issue on some specfic builds during the installation of windows.

You mention no issue on regular PCs is that with Win10 and the sam build?

Correct the system I'm working on comprises of some 10 regular PC's and 3 NUC PC's, the OS install process goes fine on the regular PC's (I install the nic drivers after the OS images to the PC from WDS).

I even tried to install the intel drivers on the .wim image so they would be initialized during the windows install and that resulted on a BSOD when windows boots after it goes through initializing devices.

I also tried injected the drivers into my WinPE boot image and after doing so WDS could no longer see the attached iscsi disked that was chained.

Edit: I just checked with nvpsbind.exe and both the lower and upper Lightweight network filter's are disabled on the nics, looks like that happens automatically with windows 10 now.
2018-04-10, 17:41
So does it work as long as you don't install intels drivers? if so why are you installing intel drivers when it is already working?

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2018-04-10, 17:46
(2018-04-10 17:41)NiKiZe Wrote:  So does it work as long as you don't install intels drivers? if so why are you installing intel drivers when it is already working?

Great question.
A requirement is that these pc’s be able to wakeonlan and without the intel driver installed they won’t wake up from s5 state :/
2018-04-10, 18:18
(2018-04-10 17:46)Foxcolt Wrote:  
(2018-04-10 17:41)NiKiZe Wrote:  So does it work as long as you don't install intels drivers? if so why are you installing intel drivers when it is already working?

Great question.
A requirement is that these pc’s be able to wakeonlan and without the intel driver installed they won’t wake up from s5 state :/

That is usually a bios option, but there is also settings on the device that you can do in windows, check the advanced settings for the device.

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
2018-04-10, 18:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-10 19:09 by Foxcolt.)
(2018-04-10 18:18)NiKiZe Wrote:  
(2018-04-10 17:46)Foxcolt Wrote:  

Great question.

That is usually a bios option, but there is also settings on the device that you can do in windows, check the advanced settings for the device.

That's the conundrum unfortunately, when I first encountered this problem I figured I would just omit the intel driver, however the Windows 10 enterprise driver for this NIC does not support wakeonlan as there isn't a wakeonlan option in the advanced menu and testing wakeonlan with just the power options turned on unfortunately doesn't work (I can also see that there are no link lights when the device is off)

experimenting with installing the driver via the .inf file results in the same issue as well.

It's starting to look like I'm going to be out of luck on this one Huh

In case anyone ever comes across this very specific use case.

It looks like this setup works with a specific older intel driver.

From the latest driver download if you install the drivers from the NDIS63 folder (after unpacking the .exe file) the nic will show as driver version 12.18.8.7.

That specific driver did not BSOD on boot, whereas the latest 12.18.8.9 and previous 12.18.8.6 did cause BSOD's on boot.

This allows me to enable wakeonlan and installs the powershell cmdlets I need to complete the setup of these NUCs.

Thanks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)