Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UEFI not booting
2018-08-16, 17:37
Bug UEFI not booting
Hello and Greetings,

Let me start off and say I am very new to iPXE but I really think it something I am going to be using for the rest of my career.

Anyways, I am having issue with booting with UEFI. I have confirm via packet trace that the client is getting the correct ipxe.efi file. I have also turned off secure boot just for testing. My test client system is giving me error: "Selected boot device failed." What are some of the common problems when boot from uefi? Is there anything I can try to make this work? Does anyone have a troubleshoot guide?

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-16, 18:48
RE: UEFI not booting
Does your machine boot in efi mode, and does it do the PXE over efi?
One way to check this is that the dhcp option Arch (I think it is option 93) is correct for efi in the packet dumps (at least non 0)

Also check that you see something similar to below, especially "PXE Network Boot using IPv4" I think all EFI implementations is specific about it being IPv4 or IPv6 if that is what you are using (in that case I think the option for arch above is different)

[Image: Windows-Live-Writer-Installing-Windows-T..._thumb.png]

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-08-16, 21:52
So I figuree out two things:

1. The packet trace was show the the tftp request not the response. (oops)
2. also there seemed to be some missing drivers for network interfaces. I had to build the snp.efi and got it working with that version.
Find all posts by this user
2018-08-16, 22:14
(2018-08-16 21:52)outcast Wrote:  2. also there seemed to be some missing drivers for network interfaces. I had to build the snp.efi and got it working with that version.
So what is the pciid of the device that you are trying to use?
(using "lspci -nn | grep Ether" in linux would give that info)

Use GitHub Discussions
VRAM bin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)