Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Windows 10 (1804) installation on iscsi device
2019-02-16, 19:20
RE: Windows 10 (1804) installation on iscsi device
@scratchy,

It looks to me that a proper driver for your NIC needs to be added (injected) to the boot.wim for booting via wimboot.

I've been successful installing Win10 1803 (RS4) and 1809 (RS5) into iSCSI disks by booting the client into WinPE first. I injected Intel & Realtek NIC drivers into the WinPE boot.wim to support a variety of motherboards. I did the same for the OS installation install.wim, for the Pro edition of Win10 that I want to install. A small iSCSI disk carrying the OS install files (including the driver-augmented install.wim) is mounted (sanhook) to support OS installation and removes the need to plug a USB flash drive into the PC.

The boot.wim from Windows installation media has two images. The first image supports OS installation after bootup from the media, the second is a more traditional WinPE image. Your NIC driver needs to be injected into the first image. For over-the-network OS installation into iSCSI disk, the NIC driver is boot critical, so unless there is already an inbox NIC driver in the Windows installation files supporting your NIC, it is necessary to inject the proper NIC driver into boot.wim.

I prefer to network boot the PC into WinPE first, to give me some control over the OS installation process. I can check for proper iSCSI disk mounts via iscsicpl (also injected into WinPE), or run diskpart to clean the mounted iSCSI disk in preparation for OS installation, unbind ms_wfplwf_lower & ms_wfplwf_upper protocols (if enabled) from the NIC, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Windows 10 (1804) installation on iscsi device - scan80269 - 2019-02-16 19:20

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)